Pages

Monday, October 01, 2007

Finished: Summer of Love Lace Socks

Just in time for the start of Socktoberfest ...

Pattern: Summer of Love Lace by JC Briar (August Rockin' Sock Club shipment)
Yarn: Socks That Rock lightweight (100% superwash merino), colorway Flower Power, one skein
Needles: two US 1 (2.5 mm) 32" Knit Picks circs (worked both at the same time, magic loop)
Started/Completed: September 23/October 1
Mods: None

These socks worked up incredibly quickly, which was a good thing, as I felt really bad for neglecting them for about a month. The only "complicated" part of the pattern was the cuff, which has a four-row repeat (two of which are purled across). What you can't see when the socks are worn is that there is an inch and a half of ribbing underneath the folded-down cuff. This was a design feature I was happy to discover.

My favorite part of the pattern, though? The Eye of Partridge heel -- I just love what it does with a bright, varied colorway like this:

This is not a colorway I would have picked out on my own; it's probably a tad bit loud for my taste. But it does work exceptionally well with this pattern and makes for some very happy socks. I am definitely going to knit this pattern again, although next time I will try it in a more subdued colorway. I'd like to see what happens to the lace cuff when it's paired with a semisolid.

Yesterday I spent part of the day at a baby shower, where I was finally able to present the Pea Pod Cardigan to its recipient (well, to the mother of the recipient, as he's not born yet). As you can see, it was a big hit:


The mom-to-be received a lot of very nice gifts, including a great many very adorable baby outfits, but the women at the shower just could not get over the sweater. It was literally passed around the room so every attendee could examine it for herself. This is certainly validation of one's knitting, is it not? It's settled -- I'm knitting this sweater again!

The Mister and I are getting ready for our honeymoon; we leave Friday. Blogging may be a bit spotty before we leave, and for that I hope you'll forgive me. I will be knitting with the Hurricane Knitters this Wednesday, so if you're in the area I hope to see you there!

9 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore the baby sweater and am going to download that pattern right away! I have a great-neice I am seeing at the end of the month who is six months old. I wonder how fast I can knit this???

    Take LOTS of notes for me on your cruise!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The baby sweater looks great! Enjoy your honeymoon! Oh fun... vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is true knitting validation!

    Cute socks - see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:28 AM

    Hey - just started the Pea Pod myself....with your help! Want to do a KAL??? Hey, have fun on your cruise. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the 'Eye of Partridge' heel is amazing, great socks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:13 AM

    I just found out yesterday that my cousin is having a baby...so I'm gonna knit the pea pod cardi!!! Look out, world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:59 PM

    The Eye of Partridge heel is my favorite; I just love it!

    Great Pea Pod sweater; no surprise everyone had to have their turn checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your socks! The pattern looks awesome in that colourway. I've not tried the eye of partridge heel yet. I seem to not stray from my typical heel that I do on all socks (just your basic heel flap type)...though I think I did do short rows on a toe up sock that is back home in Canada, unfinished...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think those are the only STR club socks I've liked thus far. Yours turned out GREAT! You know what would be interesting? A variegated yarn for the foot and then a complimentary solid color yarn for the ankle cuff. Hmmm....

    Of course your sweater was a hit! It's adorable! Hand knit baby gifts are always the best and it definitely is wonderful validation for knitting.

    ReplyDelete