Pages

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Finished: Monkey Socks

Pattern: Monkey (winter '06 Knitty) by Cookie A.
Yarn: Knit Picks Memories (100% merino), colorway Yukon, two skeins, gifted by my Sockret Pal
Needles: US 1 Addi Turbo 12" circs (two of 'em)
Started/Completed: February 9*/February 17
Mods: none

These socks were such a fast knit they practically knit themselves! The yarn, which arrived in my last package from my Sockret Pal spoiler, proved to be perfect for this pattern, as the lace pattern prevents any unsightly pooling of the variegated yarn. My Sockret Pal has certainly figured out my colors; these socks will go perfectly with my favorite wardrobe item, a comfy pair of jeans.

Strangely, there was one spot where these did pool just a teensy tiny bit -- the same spot on both socks. It doesn't bother me that much, as that part of my foot is going to be right at the top of the instep of my shoe. I'm sorry these photos don't capture the lace pattern very well. They haven't been blocked yet, as they literally just came off the needes (yes, I am home knitting socks on a Saturday night -- what of it?). I'm going to go give them a bath right after I finish up this post so that they'll be ready for wearing this week.
*Technically I did cast on for these on Friday the 9th. However, I'm not sure this time span from cast on to bind off is all that accurate. I cast on when I arrived home from work last Friday, completed the full cuff, and started the lace pattern when I realized that I had two extra stitches (apparently I can't read or count at the end of the week). I frogged and started again later that evening, but didn't get any further than five rows in before putting it down again. I didn't pick it back up until Sunday, and then I proceeded to knit the entire leg of the first sock that day. I finished it and cast on for the second sock on Tuesday evening. So, yes, while I did technically cast on last Friday, in my opinion these socks were really started last Sunday, making it less than a week of knitting time for these socks. Fast indeed!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh I'm jealous. I have the monkey socks on my to do list. Sheesh you are a fast knitter. I don't work outside the home and I oculd never get stuff knit as fast as you. Oh yeah I am planning on coming up to knit Wednesday. I was planning to bring yarn for lady E and ask you for some tips, but alas I have projects to complete before I can even think of starting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:15 AM

    Great socks! It's always nice to see the yarn you send in use. As for your colors, we share similar tastes so you're lucky you got that yarn at all! :)
    - Your Sockret Pal
    PS: I'm almost done with one sock and the other half done (started them at the same time)

    ReplyDelete