Pages

Monday, December 13, 2010

Foiled Again, with Handspun

I had fully intended to get some shots of me modeling my finished Oblique this past Saturday, when the weather report was calling for sun. Unfortunately, Rainbow woke up with a slight fever, so we spent the morning taking her to the pediatrician (diagnosis: ear infection #7) and the pharmacy for her prescription. And there went my chance for photos. Perhaps I'll get another chance later in the week. For the time being, I can tell you that blocking helped to even it out immensely and that I wore the sweater to work on Friday and was extremely cozy all day -- to the point of actually getting sweaty after my walk home.

We're in the middle of a winter storm here in Western Pennsylvania, so natural light is extremely hard to find. I couldn't even get any for taking shots of my latest handspun, so please excuse this photo, taken with a flash in my shower (I thought the lighting might be better there).

This is a BFL/silk blend from All Spun Up for the latest spinalong. This particular colorway is called Rustic, and this photo doesn't really capture the true beauty of the chocolate browns, deep orange-y rusts, and little peeks of blue and green here and there. I'm a bit disappointed with my yardage -- roughly 392 yards of light fingering weight -- but I know that it's because I did a poor job of splitting the fiber. I had a significant amount left on one bobbin when I'd finished plying; those leftovers went on to my leftover bobbin (to which I add all my thin leftover singles) and will be plied up eventually.

5 comments:

  1. I've been in a bit of a "neutrals phase" lately and I am definitely digging those silvers and browns! Another beautiful skein of handspun, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a way to add that 'extra' bit of leftover. Not sure if you know this trick.....I get my ball winder out...and even though I have almost everything plied..I put whats left on the ball winder and make a center pull ball...connect it with what is already on the wheel being plied and viola! I use it all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way...Eastern Pa here....only flurries so far..I'm waiting for the big stuff...come on snow!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your rustic is beautiful. Really, really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. t28girl3:20 PM

    Your handspun is beautiful. I was wondering, do you know how to Andean ply? Then you could add it to the rest of your yardage. Or you could do what Ms Kimba says. I have done both.

    ReplyDelete