Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Ennui?

I feel like I am in a bit of a rut with my knitting these days. I've been doing a fair amount of designing lately, which is exciting, except that it means knitting the same thing several times and not being able to show it to you if I want to try to publish it -- in short, it's good for my creative side but bad for the blog. The only thing I've really been working on that I can share with you is my Essential Cardigan, and that's just strips of stockinette -- again, not so great for the blog. I finished the second front on Tuesday evening and cast on for the sleeves immediately after. I'm working them both at once to avoid the horrible feeling that comes with finishing one sleeve only to realize you have to knit another. Plus, this way I know that they'll match (or at least they will in theory).

Last night, despite the fact that a certain toddler had woken me up at 3:45 a.m. and kept me from getting enough sleep, I did manage to get to Hurricane Knitting, where I slogged through the ribbed cuff (the pattern is 1x1 ribbing on the wrong side and knit on the right side; I have come to realize that there are few things in the world I dislike knitting as much as 1x1 ribbing because it takes so friggin' long). I have a few more rows to work before I start increasing, but at least now I'm working in plain stockinette on the larger needles, so I don't have to pay attention to much of anything.


I was thinking the other night that this sweater seems to be knitting up fairly quickly given that it's in a lighter weight of yarn than most of the sweaters I've knit, but then I remembered that a pretty fair portion of it is in the ribbed collar/button band combo thing, and that involves the dreaded stitch pattern with the 1x1 rib. I know this sweater is going to be really comfy and versatile when it's done, though, so I just need to power through.

I've also been working on some socks with this handspun -- just plain socks in stockinette, in order to let the yarn be the star -- so you can see why I've been experiencing a bit of knitting ennui lately. Gray yarn just isn't all that inspiring, even if it does go with everything.

With all this gray stockinette, I am craving a little color and variety of stitch pattern, so I may cast on soon for Wendy Johnson's Summer Mystery Shawlette. I'm thinking that perhaps a skein of my handspun might work nicely for this. Time to dig through the stash!

4 comments:

  1. I adore that handspun! Whoever gets the socks is so lucky. I've been thinking about trying dyeing and I'm wondering if I buy white roving, and then splash black on it - even I could manage that, maybe???? And the Wendy Johnson SAL is a blast. Short bursts of colour and interest...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:41 PM

    8 was thinking about making Wendy Johnson's Mystery Shawl KAL too, if you want a co-kal-er!
    -Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited about you designing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand your ennui. I am obviously lacking in blog fodder as well. I'm hoping I'll have more to "talk" about soon, but we'll see. Meanwhile your designing sneak-peek is amazing and I'm sorry I didn't get to talk to you on Thursday night. The table got HUGE in a hurry!

    ReplyDelete