In a lucky break, the Mister and I found ourselves child free for much of the weekend, as my in-laws offered to entertain Rainbow for a sleepover. I spent a leisurely afternoon at my LYS yesterday while the Mister was at a movie, and then yesterday evening I finally got around to plying up the singles I spun last week. As a reminder, this yarn started out as this 85% polwarth/15% silk batt from Into the Whirled in a colorway called Nebula that I bought at Maryland Sheep and Wool last year.
I knew I wanted to keep the color progression, so I tore off strips starting at the pinky orange and spun them up one at a time. Then, I chain plied the lot. You can tell I was getting a little impatient to be done by the end, because the light blue part of this skein is thicker than the orange part. Nonetheless, I'm quite in love with this yarn.
I have a total of 261 yards, and it averages out to somewhere in the sport/DK range, I think. In all honesty, I don't care that it's inconsistent. I know I can turn this into something where gauge won't matter, and I don't think anyone will notice in the face of these colors.
I was expecting the yarn to poof up a bit in the finishing, but what I didn't expect was how the silk's shine would come out. The batt was so well blended that I didn't really notice the silk content while spinning, but after this came out of its bath and dried, it positively glowed.
I haven't done a whole lot of spinning from batts, but now I'm hooked. Time to figure out how to make my drum carder work for me!