Pages

Sunday, December 30, 2018

2018: A Retrospective

It's not the last day of the year, but it's my last post for 2018, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to look back on my crafting over the past 12 months.

It has been a very busy year, so I don't think it's been my most prolific, but I'm still pleased with what I accomplished. According to my Ravelry notebook, I've completed 33 projects this year and knit up nearly 14,000 yards of yarn in those projects. Those projects included:
  • four adult sweaters (three for me, one for the Mister),
  • four small person sweaters (one for Rainbow, one for her doll, and two baby knits),
  • fifteen pairs of socks,
  • seven hats (plus one more I'm hoping to finish by tomorrow),
  • two shawls,
  • three cowls,
  • and two gnomes (plus various other small projects).
I also spun about 6,500 yards of yarn and published 13 new designs. There's certainly more I wish I could have accomplished and have on my list for next year, but I'm feeling pretty good about my output.

My final two projects completed this year will be two hats for charity, which I think is apt considering that one of my intentions (I don't dare call them resolutions) for the new year ahead is to make more things for charity. I don't remember if I've mentioned it before, but we have a family member through marriage (don't ask me to explain the relationship, please!) has been teaching Head Start in a tiny village on an Alaskan island for the past couple of years. When we saw him this past summer, he was able to tell us a lot about what life was like there, and it was very clear to me that the natives who live there are in great need. What with it being Alaska, I of course thought about what I could knit to send, so I am trying to use up bits and bobs of leftovers to send warm accessories for the kids. I knit one hat earlier in the year and just finished a second yesterday:


This is the Megaliths Hat by Kino Knits, which was just released earlier this month, and it's the perfect pattern for partial skeins and leftovers. I used some of the Cascade 220 Superwash and Berroco Vintage leftover from the gnomes, roughly 170 yards. I cast this one on two days ago and finished yesterday, so it was a very fast knit. I started a second this morning and hope to have it wrapped up before tomorrow is over.

As we prepare to turn the page on 2018 and see what 2019 has in store for us, I want to thank you for reading my posts over the past year, and I especially want to thank those of you who have left comments so that I can continue the discussion in a dialogue. For a while there it seemed like the knitting blog was dying, but it seems like it is coming back, and that makes me glad because I feel like knitting blogs are what got me into this wonderful fibery world. I wish you and your loved ones a healthy, happy, prosperous new year!

3 comments:

  1. What an impressive year! I am truly wowed by the number of designs you have published!

    I too am so thankful for this space filled with like minded makers! You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have made 2018 a very impressive year in spinning, knitting, and designing! I hope 2019 is just as good for you in all those areas, along with much health, happiness, and love. (Your Megaliths hat is delightful!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz T.3:10 PM

    I am always inspired by how much you accomplish with your busy life and young family. And I am grateful you continue to blog - I always look forward to your posts and will make frequent commenting an ‘intention’ for 2019! I also hope to pick up the pace on my own knitting and have a worthy list to reflect on at year end. Thank you for all your inspiration and the great book lists!

    ReplyDelete