Pages

Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Pattern Release: Hakova Sheli

I think I've said before that one of the hardest parts about pattern designing for me is coming up with a good name. In this case of this hat, I had no problems whatsoever because the crown of the hat immediately reminded me of a fond memory from childhood.


For the Jewish holiday of Purim, it's a tradition to make and eat a special type of cookie, called hamantaschen. These cookies are triangular and said by some to represent the three-cornered hat favored by Haman, the villain of the Purim story. While that story may be apocryphal, what's undeniable is that the cookies are delicious, and it's a fun tradition in many families to make the cookies and share them with friends and families. I have some very clear memories of helping my mother fill hamentaschen as a child, and I also remember her singing a Purim song in Hebrew that goes "Hakova sheli shalosh pinot," which translates to "My hat has three corners." Could there be a more perfect name for this crown? I think not!

Hakova Sheli is worked in basic brioche stitch using a fingering weight yarn. It's super simple until you get to the crown decreases, which are really more fiddly than difficult and go very quickly once you've got the hang of them. I've graded the pattern to four sizes, approximately toddler to adult large, but the stretchiness of the brioche stitch makes for a very flexible fit.


I used a self-striping yarn from Fibernymph Dye Works for my sample (the colorway is called Cold Snap), and I just love what brioche stitch does to stripes. As with all of my patterns, it's been professionally tech edited, and I also had a bunch of volunteers preview knit it, so you can be sure the pattern is easy to follow. Through the end of the month, I'm offering it for sale for 20% using the code MYHAT.



But wait, that's not all!

In addition to offering you this new hat, I also want to mention that the seventh annual Indie Designer Giftalong starts tonight at 8 p.m. EST! I have participated every year as a designer and for the past few years as a group moderator, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that it's my favorite time of year! I've selected 20 of my most popular patterns for the pattern sale portion of the event, which runs from the start of the event until 11:59 p.m. EST on Monday, December 2. All my paid patterns are eligible for prizes in the KALs, including Hakova Sheli. I hope you see you in the group!

4 comments:

  1. Perfect hat, perfect name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh indeed, that is the PERFECT name for the hat! Congratulations on another great design!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE it! And, I love the little Purim story that accompanies it! It is so beautiful also in a striping yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete