Pages

Sunday, January 26, 2020

Old Spins, New Toys

I had every intention of finishing up my current spin this weekend, but then the Mister came down with a Man Cold, so I did not get my normal Friday night spinning session in (my wheel lives in our bedroom, and he wanted to go to bed early, so I took my knitting to the den for the evening). I did get in a little bit of spinning this morning, though, and I'd say I'm about three-quarters of the way done with my singles.


If I need to do some more spinning, I have a couple of new tools at my disposal:


My friend David posted on Instagram a couple of weeks ago that he was looking for a new home for these two Bosworth spindles, and I immediately offered to adopt them. I don't do a ton of spindling, but when I do, these are absolutely my favorite. They're so beautifully made and exceptionally well balanced. Every time I see the Bosworth booth at a fiber festival, I'm tempted to buy another, but I've been good the past several times. David was offering these up at a very reasonable price, however, so I couldn't pass them up. The one on the left has a whorl made from American Chestnut and is 26 grams; the one on the right is Bloodwood and 42 grams. They're even more beautiful when they're in good daylight -- unfortunately the sun has been hiding all weekend, so gloomy light it is. Perhaps having these gorgeous new tools on hand will inspire me to get to more of my stash fiber!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely spinning and beautiful spindles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Bosworth's are gorgeous! My favorite are a couple of Jenkins Turkish spindles that spin like a dream! A Bosworth is on my list to try though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the Man Cold is on the mend! Those two spindles are gorgeous, and they have no idea how lucky they are to be coming to live with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The spinning is beautiful - and WOW about the Bosworth spindles, I love them so much, but I dout I'll ever get my hands on any. ;) Will you spin the rest of your fibre on the Bosworths?
    (I have to admit that, while I have a wheel ... I prefer spindles. It sounds weird, I know spindles are usually treated as "transitionary" tools, but it somehow feels more personal for me to use them, and I have the feeling that I have more control over the process in general (I know this is not really true, but well).
    I hope your man is well soon again! Colds suck. Big time.

    ReplyDelete