Pages

Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Balance in 2021: August

Even though it feels like we got an extra week in this month (I think because Labor Day is so late this year), I'm still astonished at how quickly this month has flown by. It may have something to do with the fact that the days are getting noticeably shorter or that we're closing in on the final part of the year. But it's officially the final day of August, conveniently falling on the last Tuesday of the month, so it's time for my monthly check-in with my One Little Word. Thanks as always to Carolyn for hosting us for our monthly link-up!

Balance this month had a lot to do with Rainbow, so it feels very appropriate that my monthly reflection should fall on her first day of school for the new year.

It's really hit me in so many ways this moment that Rainbow is right on the cusp of leaving childhood. Physically, she's noticed her body changing (in some ways that are welcome and some that are not), and socially and emotionally, she's starting to assert her independence and separate herself from us. Earlier this month, she moved into the bedroom on our third floor, where she now has her own space and more privacy. Though she still relies on us for plenty of things, she's becoming more self-sufficient and learning to rely more on her own thoughts and judgments.

I thinking most, if not all, of you who are parents and have had children go through this period of adolescence will know how I'm feeling and how I am struggling to find a good middle ground between wanting to protect my "baby" from anything that might hurt her, physically or emotionally, and at the same time wanting to push her to challenge herself and learn those important life lessons that our children will really only learn when they've experienced them directly. I strive to make her know that I'm always here for her and will always support her but that I want her to feel comfortable relying on herself. I know that this is a process we'll be going through together for many years.

I realized not long ago that I'd completely forgotten to update my 21 in 2021 last month, so let's check in on that, shall we?

  1. Bake challah for shabbat DONE
  2. Run a 5K straight Walk the length of the UK - in progress
  3. Learn a new knitting technique DONE
  4. Sew a project bag DONE
  5. Knit a sweater out of handspun DONE
  6. Spin for a sweater - DONE
  7. Read a book outside my comfort zone DONE
  8. Try making pastry
  9. Knit or crochet a toy DONE
  10. Design a crochet pattern
  11. Read a biography/autobiography DONE
  12. Spin the oldest fiber in my stash DONE
  13. Knit five items for charity DONE
  14. Finish my WIPs from 2020 DONE
  15. Knit a sweater for Rainbow DONE
  16. Knit socks for my brother DONE
  17. Read a book of poetry DONE
  18. Read a book by a Native American/Indigenous author DONE
  19. Try three new meatless recipes DONE
  20. Go for at least three bike rides
  21. Read a book Rainbow reads for school DONE

I have only crossed one item off my list this month (that would be number 6, Spin for a sweater), but I'm making excellent progress on number 2 and should be able to cross it off at the end of this week because I have only about 20 miles left to walk to reach 1,083 miles and have already walked 11 miles so far this week. I'm trying to decide if I want to count the amigurumi pierogi I made way back in January for item number 10 or if I want to formally design something -- meaning writing up the instructions, whether or not I choose to publish. And we haven't succeeded in doing any family bike rides this year, though I'm hoping it's something we can do when the weather gets a little less oppressive. I am regularly thinking about making pastry and am determined to try it, so that will be one I am not likely to forget about. So all in all, very good progress toward completing this list!

How has the month of August been for you and your word? How are you feeling about the summer ending and the fall starting?

I will be back tomorrow with a big update!

 

9 comments:

  1. Parenthood is such an amazing journey, isn't it? I remember when my daughter was a toddler and we watched the older kids heading to school in the fall. I remember thinking . . . how can their parents stand letting them go away for the whole day!!! It's a good thing the separation thing happens gradually, preparing both the kiddo AND the parent for the independent days ahead. It's a process, for sure! :-) I hope Rainbow has a wonderful 6th grade year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rainbow looks happy to be a 6th grader, and I hope she has a happy, healthy, and successful school year. My kids are 28 and 30 years old and I still have to remind myself to try and occupy that middle ground of parenting! It's a ongoing process, but one that both you and Rainbow will learn and grow from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I deeply admire how intentional and in tune you are as a parent, Sarah. I feel like I know some of those things in my *mind*...but you wouldn't always know that by watching or listening to me!

    I remember sitting with my first newborn, sobbing over the phone to my mother, "How did you ever let me go so far away from home? I don't know how I'll ever let her go to KINDERGARTEN, let alone across the country!" And my mom said, "Oh--that's why God made teenagers."

    My oldest is 17 and my son turned 14 yesterday. And I get it now. Not in a negative way--but in a *taking space to be ourselves* kind of a way (but still being there to help and to hug and to love). And I mean ALL of us being ourselves--not just the kids. I'm finding THEIR teenagehood is giving me a different kind of space I haven't had in a while. And I realize it's setting the stage for a WHOLE different kind of space down the road.

    Rainbow is an exceedingly lucky kid to have you; and I suspect that goes both ways! I hope she enjoys her new room, her new space, and this big new school year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many little steps towards independence that our children take and we often miss them. Good for you for taking the time to acknowledge the changes happening with Rainbow. And you are crushing your 21 in 2021 list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sarah - those tween/teen years are a challenge in ALL the ways! It seems like you have a great outlook on the balance required, and I'm sure you will all survive and thrive! We've been re-watching GBBS ... saw Chocolate Babka last night and I know there's a pastry week coming up - can't wait to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sixth grade - wow! I love the little steps you are making to allow her to practice being herself. Walking the length of the UK - you must have started in January. I started in May 1st so I should be done in December. It has been fun looking at the map and logging the daily miles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is the most challenging balance stage I am aware of! And I am so impressed with your list! Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I don't have any kids, so I'm not gonna give advice on something I have no clue on. ;)

    But - if I may say this - it always strikes me how great your relationship with each other is. You have so many activities that you do together, she is interested in what you do and joins you so often, be that baking, or crafting or going on outings. And you are interested in what she does, and thinks, and has to say!(This isn't always the case, unfortunately). In one of your last posts, you said that Rainbow was super happy that you will be able to work from home longer, because you will be able to spend more time with her, and I remember that this brought a huge smile on my face.

    Yeah, there will be changes and more changes in the upcoming years, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, for sure, but I think you have a really, really good home base honestly, and I admire how you raise your daugher.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at that 21 in 2021 list - you're crushing it!

    And look at Rainbow ready for the 6th grade! I'm not looking forward to that age and stage with my own. I hope I can handle it with the grace and love that you do.

    ReplyDelete