Pages

Wednesday, February 09, 2022

Unraveled, Week 6/2022

It's already Wednesday again! Time to join Kat and the Unravelers with a making and reading update -- and as far as the making goes, it's been a big week.

On Sunday afternoon, I had another Zoom board meeting. Thankfully this one lasted only 2 hours and 20 minutes -- still longer than I'd like, but much more reasonable than the 4-hour meeting of the week before. I made good use of my time in this meeting: While the majority of my fellow board members felt compelled to express their opinions over and over again, I worked on my sweater. And by Sunday evening, I'd finished it! I blocked it yesterday, and today it was dry and ready to be tried on.


Pattern: May(be) Queen by La Maison Rililie, size XS
Yarn: Fibernymph Dye Works Bounce (80% superwash merino/20% nylon), in Runaway, approximately 2.5 skeins
Needles: US 4 (3.5 mm) and US 2.5 (3.0 mm)
Started/Completed: December 19, 2021/February 6, 2022
Mods: rewrote sleeves

This may very well have been the most complicated pattern I've ever knit; the yoke shaping and the body had different instructions for almost every round and included occasional short rows, so I had to pay close attention to what I was doing. My only real modification was to change the sleeves so that they were in plain stockinette and tapered toward the wrist. While I liked the stitch pattern in the original, the belled sleeves are not good for my lifestyle or my tendency to knock things over.

I did choose to make a smaller size than what the recommended ease called for because I wanted a more fitted look, but it ended up a bit smaller than I was expecting. It does fit, though I can't wear it with anything underneath other than undergarments or maybe a tank. I know this doesn't seem like an issue, but I usually wear my sweaters with a long-sleeved tee underneath, both because I run cold and need the extra layer and because I don't like to have to wash my sweaters every time I wear them. The sizing isn't because I didn't swatch or get gauge, because I did. I just apparently picked the wrong size to knit.

Or maybe I was knitting the sweater for someone else and just didn't realize it:


I have to say that I think I like it better on her, a little longer and with a bit of positive ease, and I'm happy to pass it along to her if she'll wear it. She's been wanting me to knit her another sweater, so perhaps if I give her this one, I can get a bit of a grace period on another project. I still have my handspun Shifty to finish up, after all.

Reading has been less productive this week in that I haven't finished anything since last Wednesday, but I'm getting close to finishing a couple of books. First, today (as long as work cooperates) I should finish After You'd Gone, Maggie O'Farrell's first published novel. I'd very much like to become a Maggie O'Farrell completist this year, after this one, I'll have four more books to read to have read all her novels. I am also well into Great or Nothing, a Little Women retelling that I found on NetGalley. It's set during WWII and feels a bit like a guilty pleasure to read, so I'm looking forward to getting back to it.

What are you making and reading this week?

7 comments:

  1. I once knit a sweater for Dale that Hannah stole and wore as a "boyfriend" sweater. In other words, I feel your pain! But I think the sweater is super cute on Rainbow and if she will wear it (which was always a big IF with Hannah) then you've got a solution to your sizing problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rainbow looks really happy to be wearing that sweater - as she should, because it sure looks great! I've got After You'd Gone on my shelf for next month - and totally with you to become an O'Farrell completist this year! (also on that list is Sarah Winman and ... maybe ... Emily St. John Mandel)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sweater turned out great! I like it on both you and Rainbow...but if you are not that comfortable in it and Rainbow likes it - voila! O'm still knitting my sock (Terrarium yarn Static - KnitPicks) and reading "Reckless Daughter' which I am really, really enjoying. Lots and lots of drugs and so much dysfunctional behavior...but those were the days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the seater on both of you, but if Rainbow likes it and it fits her so well, maybe you should take advantage of that! Her expression is quite suggestive of happiness about her new sweater. Great or Nothing sounds interesting so I'm going to look for it. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that sweater on both of you. If Rainbow likes it and it buys you a bit of time you have an excellent solution. I need to look for the Maggie O'Farrell books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a lovely sweater, Sarah, on both you and Rainbow. I am always pulling at sweaters that are even just a smidge tight on me, so I know I'd be hoping my daughter would wear it (back in the day when she was smaller than me; now we're the same size). (It looks so good on her - and she looks pleased. . .) I've read most of Maggie O'Farrell's books (with mixed reviews), and I always enjoy a "guilty pleasure" read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sweater turned out beautifully, Sarah! But I am with Kym... if anything is too tight, I don't wear it. But I think it looks good on you *and* Rainbow! Perhaps a shared sweater?

    I have some writers that I like to read everything they write, but I tried some of Maggie's other books and they did not grab me like Hamlet did....so I stopped. I will be interested in your review!

    ReplyDelete