Pages

Monday, July 04, 2022

An Alternate Celebration

Good morning, friends! Today is, of course, July 4, Independence Day here in the United States, but I'm not too keen on celebrating that holiday today given recent events in this country. But it is a day off for me, which is cause for celebration anytime, and I'm finding some other reasons to be happy today.

First, an update: The Mister is feeling almost completely back to normal and has been out to run and bike over the weekend. He did another test this morning and sent me this photo:


So he's still positive, but see how pale that line is? We're hoping he'll be negative in another day or two, but for now he'll continue to isolate in our bedroom. The other good news is that neither Rainbow nor I has had any symptoms (other than my psychosomatic ones early last week), and we seem to have gotten into a good routine for meals and such.

I did not get a ton of crafting time in over the weekend because I spent a lot of time outside (exercising and working in the garden), but I have made progress on my brother's cardigan!


Both pocket linings are complete (and they and the front pieces are the same size, despite how they look in this photo), and I have started the sleeves, which I'm knitting at the same time. Once the Mister is fully recovered, I'll be blocking the back and fronts and seaming the shoulders so I can knit the button bands and shawl collar; the pattern calls for doing that first before setting in the sleeves, which makes sense because it means less weight on the needles. I've got 15 days to finish this sweater, and I suppose I should also look to see if I have appropriate buttons now in case I need to order some.

I also spent some time spinning over the weekend, as it is Tour de Fleece time and at this time of year I try to spin every day the Tour de France rides.


I think I've got about a quarter to a third of this fiber left to be spun into singles and I'm hoping to make a decent dent in it this afternoon while I watch last night's episode of Endeavour (I decided to watch a Disney+ series with Rainbow instead of watching in real time).

In addition to getting all the enjoyment I can out of having a Monday off, I've also started out the day by making donations to the National Network of Abortion Funds and Josh Shapiro's campaign. Perhaps I'll also contact my elected officials later. Rainbow and I plan to make a bread pudding later on, and the two of us will have dinner with my parents tonight (the Mister will get his dinner to go). I doubt we'll watch the fireworks, but I'm sure we'll hear them.

Whatever you're doing today, I hope you find something enjoyable and joyful in this Monday.

7 comments:

  1. Good grief, I've fallen behind! But I'm caught up now--and I'm so, so happy to hear your husband is on the up + up. (And here's to taste and smell returning very soon.)
    As for...July 4th...I hear you. I was awake a lot last night, plenty of time to consider. I was surprised to find myself calling forth those I'm grateful for on this particular day, which helped bring some light to the dark. Literally + figuratively!
    Enjoy the anticipation of those glorious tomatoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:20 PM

    We here in Australia have a system where everyone who gets covid and fits a particular risk profile, gets follow up from a heath care professional, usually a nurse. They do a phone triage and tell you what you might expect.
    When I caught covid despite 3 jabs, the nurse told me not to keep testing myself as you can test positive for up to 12 weeks after. Doesn't mean you are still infectious, just carrying antibodies. They just assume that after 7 - 10 days you are no longer infectious.
    Hope that's a bit reassuring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel much the same way last about the 4th and the state of our country. I watched fireworks from the backyard last night, but I just don't think we have much to celebrate. (I must be getting old because the fireworks seemed much too loud and it's so dry I was concerned about floating embers.) I am glad to hear that your husband is recovering and your brother's sweater is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad your husband is feeling better! Bonny's right -- your brother's sweater is spectacular. What a wonderful gift you're creating for him. We had a lovely 4th yesterday -- although we didn't do anything "4th-y" to "celebrate." (We did have Brian and Lauren over for dinner, but I made a non-traditional kind of meal.) I'm always happy when the 4th is over . . . because JoJo is terrified of fireworks and it's a long, long 4 or 5 days keeping her safe, comfortable, and sedated . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best news is your husband is on the mend!! And that you and Rainbow have had no symptoms. YAY for all of that. Your weekend/4th looked like it was good Sarah and your brother's cardigan is indeed spectacular. I just love those pocket linings!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We did an alternate celebration here as well, and it seems it was a low-key weekend for most of my neighbors as well. No night long fireworks sessions... which was a pleasant surprise!

    Your sweater is looking wonderful! I know you will get it done with miles to spare... your brother is a fortunate sibling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your husband is out of quarantine soon. It does take awhile for that blue line to completely disappear. We had some friends over for a picnic potluck on Friday and then mostly stayed inside to avoid the heat and the insane personal fireworks. I baked a batch of Brownies on the 4th so that was our treat.

    ReplyDelete