Pages

Friday, January 27, 2023

Fighting the Gloom

I have often said that what gets to me the most during the winter is not the cold but the gloom. Supposedly Pittsburgh has fewer sunny days each year than Seattle (you know, the city notorious for rainy days?), and that's definitely the case during the winter. While our winter has been mild thus far and we've yet to have a major weather event, it has been very gloomy, this week especially. To give you an idea of what I mean by gloom, I'll tell you that our bedroom -- the corner of which is my "home office" -- has four big windows in it, and we have the type of shades that allow light in while still giving us privacy. Almost every day this week, I've needed to turn on lights during the day.

I've also been seeking color in my knitting, reaching for bright yarn. That's certainly the case with the most recent charity hat:

I finished this one up last night, though I'm still contemplating a giant pompom because there's a good amount of yarn left. It turned out a little bigger than intended (and I know exactly why -- I should have stopped increasing one round earlier), but it'll fit someone. I made the ribbing fairly deep so that it can either be worn with it folded up for extra warmth around the ears or worn down for a slouchier look.

I couldn't go too long (like a matter of seconds) before I'd cast on another version of the hat:

I didn't get very far, obviously, because I started this about 15 minutes before I went to bed, but you can get the idea. I'll be doing one less set of increases on this to see if my formula works out better. The yarn I'm using is from Knit Picks: one skein of Felici that I think got nibbled by a m*th and a partial skein of Essential (now Stroll) held together. I've got some other partial and single skeins I can add in if needed. I think the marled look with a self-striping yarn should be fun.

My main goal for today and this weekend, though, is to finish up these singles:

I've gotten through half of the fiber, but these singles are very fine, so it's taking a good amount of time to spin. I know it will be worth it in the end, but I think I need to do something much thicker for my next spin as a palate cleanser.

Today's plans include baking challah, as we're having my brother and sister-in-law (and, I assume, my dog-nephew) for dinner, but first I've got a run planned to break in some new shoes that I'm hoping will keep my feet warm and dry; I've had two runs through snow/sleet/slush this week from which I've come home totally soaked. Here's to the weekend!

12 comments:

  1. Okay. First. . . THAT GREEN! Oh, so lovely, Sarah. And I love your bright, citrus-y hat. That is going to bring some joy to a lucky recipient. :-) We're super gloomy over here, too. Ah . . . winter. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hat is so bright and cheerful, someone is going to love it! And I think the new blue hat is going to be lovely, too. The sun is out here today after a week of gloom and I feel better about . . . everything . . . just from seeing that sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE how that hat turned out! The sunshine-y of it and size, all of it! (It's a perfect size for anyone with lots of hair and who wears it 'up'.) Will you let us know when your pattern's available?! Please :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That hat is wonderfully bright and cheerful! I loved your blue spinning but this green is equally gorgeous. I hope your feet stay warm and dry and keep fighting the gloom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such pretty colors here. And running in we shoes is not good. I am thinking of getting one of those lights that simulate daylight. Still researching

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's to the WEEKEND!!! Hope yours is full of successful knitting and a delicious time with family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a bit of a chuckle this week... a weather man from my "old neck of the woods" in Michigan was moaning that Grand Rapids was #4 on the gloom list... and yep, you guessed it, Pittsburgh was #2! Ahh, winter.

    I do love your bright and cheerful hat and I bet the recipient of it will too! Have a great weekend! XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too am fond of the marled look of Felici with a solid. Actually, any "patterned" yarn (think Regia) looks very interesting combined with Felici or any self-striping yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here's to a good weekend for all of us. I think a pom pom would be fun on that bright hat. The marled look will be pretty. Felici is a nice yarn and I haven't knit with it for a long time. Hmmm - I smiled when I read you waited 30 seconds to cast on another hat. Sounds like a knitter to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That green! So gorgeous. It sounds like you're enjoying it! Your new hat looks so cool - I can't wait to see how the colors play together. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That green caught my eye and it's all I can see! Gorgeous. The hat is cheery and could make anyones day better. I'd forgo the pompom as that might give it a more feminine feel and plain could be for everyone.

    ReplyDelete