Pages

Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Unraveled, Week 22/2023

What, a third blog post from me in as many days?! Well, you know I wouldn't miss an Unraveled Wednesday with Kat and the Unravelers, but you will get a break from me tomorrow!

I don't have much of a crafting update since Monday because I spent a fair amount of time yesterday undoing a little bit of a mess I made with my Shoulder Season on Monday evening. It was entirely user error to blame; I misread some directions and did the wrong thing on the wrong round of the pattern repeat. I tried to undo and correct a stretch of stitches without tinking back entirely, but that just made stuff worse. But now I'm back on track. I also made myself a cheat sheet for the six-round repeat that's a bit easier for me to follow than the very specific instructions in the pattern to help me keep my place better.

I did find some time yesterday to skein and wash my latest handspun as well. This is skein number 12 of Southern Cross Fibre club shipments for the year!


This is Peaceful Shores on Bond wool from that dramatic month of March 2020. I spun this as a two-ply fractal, as I did for the last skein, but this one ended up a bit thicker because I spun the second bobbin of singles in a bit of a hurry and apparently was not as consistent. It's in the sport/DK range but closer to DK at 284 yards. No matter -- I'm happy to have it done. And I am officially upping my target "to spin this year" number to 24. I figure if I could make it through a dozen shipments in five months, that's a very reasonable total. I have 19 bags of SCF fiber in my possession at the moment (four of which were prizes), and I am really liking the thicker yarns that are faster to spin. So we shall see how much of my stash I am left with at the end of the year.

While the past week has been a bit busier at work and did not allow for that much reading time, I managed to finish two more since this time last week.

Barbara Kingsolver's debut novel, The Bean Trees, is the next one we're discussing in our study of her books. I thought for sure I had read this one, but I didn't remember any of it, so it's possible I only meant to. Our main character, Taylor Greer, is feisty and independent (and she rather reminded me of Demon). On her long drive west to escape the inevitable of Kentucky, she's given a Native American toddler and told that her parents are gone and the best thing for her would be to leave the reservation. Taylor makes herself a new home in Arizona and has to negotiate becoming a mother to a child about whose past she knows nothing, though what she suspects is not good. Even though this book was written in 1988, so many of the issues that are raised feel extremely relevant today. I gave it 4 stars, and I'm looking forward to rereading the sequel (I know for sure I read it because I remember doing a project on it in eighth grade!).

I finished my penultimate book in the Women's Prize shortlist on Monday afternoon. Black Butterflies is set in 1992 and deals with the siege of Sarajevo, something I lived through but really didn't know all that much about. This book also feels very relevant; even though the events of the book are in the past, the unrest among the various ethnic and religious groups have caused conflict for a long time, and recent violence has been in the news in just the last few days. Drawing on the stories of her relatives who lived through it, Priscilla Morris shows just how harrowing it can be to live through a war. Though we hear plenty about casualties on the battlefield, it is rare that we get such an honest, unvarnished portrait of the struggle of the civilians who are caught in the middle. This is a sad read, but I think it's worth it if only as a reminder of our common humanity. I gave it 4 stars.

I'm currently reading the last title I have left on the shortlist, Pod, which is really unlike anything I've read before. I also finally started Doctor Zhivago, which I am reading along with Katie as part of our yearlong buddy read of Big Russian Books, and I'll be picking a new audiobook to start today on my run.

What are you making and reading this week?

12 comments:

  1. I was sure that One Fish, Two Fish was my favorite handspun, but now it might be in second place to Peaceful Shores! That is really beautiful and I look forward to seeing more of your SCF handspun. I read Bean Trees but that was decades ago, and you've made it sound enticing enough that it may be time for a re-read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous handspun Sarah! The colors in that yarn are spectacular. I remember reading early Kingsolver and loving her books. "Pigs in Heaven," "The Bean Trees" and others are on the shelves above my desk and if I look up I can see them. It might be fun to re-read them (I don't remember much at all about them), but my TBR list is so long (and enticing!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that fractal skein is awesome, Sarah! Brilliant! I am not sure I have ever spun Bond... hmm, something I need to correct, lol!

    I am sorry you had to unravel a bit on your sweater but I am so glad you are back on track! (I make cheat notes all the time... it is such a help!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful skein of yarn, Sarah. Just lovely. I loved all the "early Kingsolver" books (still have them in my personal library -- which is saying something because my personal library is very small). My favorite of that batch will always be Animal Dreams. And I loved Dr. Zhivago. I read it back in college (a summer read, not a class read). (That one is still in my personal library, too. . . ) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bean Trees was so good to reread. Brought back all the love I had for these people when I first read the book. I am waiting, impatiently, for Black Butterflies to release in digital format. That is another part of recent history that interests me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful handspun, as always! Very smart to make a cheat sheet for your shoulder season, I find myself having to do that quite a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed Bean Trees - and remember just enough to be sure I did read read it ... and that's about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read Bean Trees so long ago--I'd almost forgotten 'til I read this post! Her earlier stuff is not my favorite...took me a while to get into...and made me feel like a terrible reader for so long, b/c everyone LOVED Bean and Poisonwood! Then, I read Flight Behavior and everything changed.. After listening to Demon Copperhead, I'm convinced I love her more with every book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the colors in your yarn - so pretty! Yay for more Women's Prize reading - I was surprised that Black Butterflies made the shortlist but I agree with what you said about it. It's amazing to me that the Siege of Sarajevo happened in our lifetime... just like it's amazing to me that Ukraine has been attacked. War is so barbaric and makes no sense!

    I hope you're loving DZ! I think you're going to fly through it. And I'm anxious to see what you think about Pod. So many books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous handspun! Have you decided what to knit with it? And I love your buddy read of Big Russian Books! So many to choose from...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I very rarely spin with a purpose in mind, so most of my spins just go back in the stash. It's not so great for reducing what's in there, but at least it takes up less room in yarn form than in fiber form!

      Delete
  11. I am catching up - slowly - on blog reading and commenting. Any way, I'm reading all the posts and adding a few late comments here and there. Your nephew is darling. Although I don't remember too much about The Bean Trees, I do recall my local group discussing and enjoying it. Your nephew is darling. How interesting that the March 2020 colorway was named Peaceful Shores. The colors are pretty together. And yay for spinning 12 amounts of fiber.

    ReplyDelete