We are back -- and I am very glad I'd planned to take today off to recover from the trip. It's not that the trip was all that taxing, but we did not sleep especially well (both children and adults being loud in the hotel hallway in the middle of the night both nights), and of course now there's laundry to do and the house to get back in order, because the Mister didn't do much while we were gone -- he didn't even put away the coffee pot from Friday! Later this morning I will go pick Ruthie up, and at some point today I will give her a bath because after a weekend of playing with other dogs outside, I'm sure she badly needs one. I'm sure we'll need to do some laundry today, and Molly wants to go get her driver's license card (we had to wait to get the from in the mail from PennDOT), so it will be a full day without work.
It was nice to spend the weekend with family, though it feels a bit like all we did was sit around and eat! It's about a five-hour drive up to the Detroit area, and both on the way there and on the way back we stopped at a service plaza somewhere in Ohio to have lunch and break up the drive, so it took us closer to six hours each way. The eating included a stop at Leo's Coney Island, where I did partake of just one coney (for those of you who are unfamiliar with this delicacy, it's a hot dog covered in a meat chili topped with onions and mustard):
Our plans were largely built around the little kids and their sleeping schedule, so we had relatively early evenings, and between the time in the car, the time sitting around and talking at my aunt and uncle's, and the time in the hotel in the evenings, I got quite a lot of knitting done. My scarf has grown enough that I need to fold it up to get it all in a photo:
and by the time we pulled into our driveway yesterday afternoon, I'd started the decreases on the hat:
I'd originally intended this to be added to the charity pile, but my mother informed me that this purple is actually my sister-in-law's favorite color, so now I think it'll become a birthday or Christmas present for her.
After today, this week should be pretty typical, and I'm looking forward to a regular schedule. We'll see what I missed at work after three days away -- not much, I hope! What I did miss was puppy snuggles, so I'll be trying to get in as many of those as I can (and after being away from me for several days, I'm sure Ruthie will be extra clingy). Here's hoping your week and month are off to a good start. See you back here on Wednesday for an Unraveled update!


Glad you are back safely and happy that you had a nice time. Noisy hotels are really a PITA. You certainly managed to get a lot of knitting done! I've never had a Coney, but it sounds delicious!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you had a good catch up with family! (but I am sorry about the disturbed sleep... grrr) I bet Ruthie will be happy to be back home (even with a bath... Frankie is not a fan of a bath, lol) Coney dogs were not a thing where I lived in MI (Chicago was closer as were those famous Chicago dogs!) I think I need to remedy that... your Coney dog looks delicious and the perfect summer eat!
ReplyDelete