If there was one word to describe this past weekend, it would be soggy. We had some pretty epic rains on Friday, including a thunderstorm that hit just after Ruthie and I came in from our morning walk (so no run for me that day) and another that came through as we had dinner that left what I called "temporary water features" in our backyard. There were flash flood warnings in the area, but because our street sits above a deep ravine, they thankfully weren't an issue for us. There was more rain on Saturday and overnight into Sunday, and with all that moisture and some hot weather, it was generally very steamy. Let's just say there were extra showers taken every day. The week ahead is supposed to be warm (though not beastly hot) and there's a chance for rain most days, so I think I'll just have to get used to it!
When I wasn't melting outside, I got a fair amount of crafting done inside. For one thing, I finished my handspun scarf -- and didn't run out of yarn!
It turns out that it was not as close a game of yarn chicken as I thought; when I finished, I still had 7 g of yarn left (from 110 g total to start). I had weighed my yarn as I approached the halfway point, but it was when we were in the car last Sunday and the numbers kept changing because we were moving, so I didn't entirely trust them. Still, it's a win that I'll take. I still need to block it, which I think will help with some wonkiness here and there, but I'm quite happy with it.
I also started plying my current skein of handspun, which may actually be complete by the time you read this (I'm writing on Sunday afternoon and have plans to do more plying on Sunday evening):
In order to have something fairly mindless on the needles for Ruthie Nap Time Knitting, I pulled out some very old mini skeins (like as old as Molly old!) from a long-ago yarn club that was associated with a lot of drama. They'd been stashed away because I was a bit busy with a newborn at the time, and I didn't even remember I had them until Molly and I did the stash reorganization recently. There's no information at all about the yarns, but they all appeared to be fingering weight, so I put them in a gradient of sorts and am making a charity hat.
Finally, I spent time this weekend getting everything ready to publish my new hat pattern this morning. It's the first one using my new tech editor, who has been fabulous to work with, and she's already got my next pattern to work on. This is the hat you've seen twice before, now called Mandlen. It's up on Payhip already and will be published on Ravelry not long after this post goes up (look for it in my store).
I'm hoping for a regular week ahead, including my usual Wednesday update. Here's hoping it's a good one for all of us.


Your scarf looks great! I love how the colors are so subtle. We did not get the rain, but my gosh the humidity was so high that just going out to the garden for 5-10 minutes left me dripping! I am more than ready for Fall temps!
ReplyDeleteYour scarf does look fantastic, Sarah! Well done!! And it was a soggy wet weekend for sure! My back yard could be called the back bog this morning! Ha!
ReplyDeleteYour scarf is terrific and I hope it's cool enough to wear it soon! We've got the typical August hot and muggy weather but that doesn't mean I like it. Every time I complain I do think about Justin and my BiL who both work outdoors in this crap. I'm looking forward to seeing the gradient hat develop and your new pattern is interesting. I love the deep ribbing.
ReplyDeleteLove the hat, Sarah! And I'm jealous of the water, though I know there can be too much of a good thing. The west could use some RAIN. We are going for a walk for the first time in over a week this morning, as the air is OK to breathe. It's been terrible. Like being snowed in, but uglier and bad smelling.
ReplyDeleteThat's a great looking hat. I also like the arrangement of your gradients for your new hat, too.
ReplyDeleteThis is me, sorry for forgetting to add my name :-)
DeleteHere's to a regular week ahead. I like the sounds of that. Your scarf turned out great. Handspun is magic. The name of the new hat pattern (I read about it in your newsletter) is perfect.
ReplyDelete