Pages

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Photographic Evidence

Here, as promised, pictures!

First things first:

Pattern: Pomatomus (winter '05 Knitty) by Cookie A.
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in colorway Jay Pond
Needles: US 2 (really more like 1.5) Inox dpns
Recipient: my mom
Mods: My own reversal of the pattern for one sock, to create a mirror-image pair.

These were my mom's Mother's Day present, which I hope she won't mind getting so late! (At least she's in a better situation than my future MIL, whose feet I have yet to even measure for her socks.) I am still not 100 percent pleased with the pattern reversal, but I am working on another prototype sock with an additional modification that looks like it's coming out more the way I wanted it to. I'll know in about another pattern repeat if it's working, and if I does I'll be posting the mods on this here blog shortly.

Here's a closeup shot of the socks so you can see how the pattern has been reversed:


Next up -- sing along with me, now! -- Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, good-bye!


Say adios to Trellis! Yes, that is my trash can. Frankly I didn't even think it was worth it to throw this sweater in the frog pond. The yarn is acrylic baby yarn I got on sale at JoAnn's; maybe if it was wool I'd feel differently. Somehow I managed to build up an incredible resentment of this sweater, and throwing it away -- really throwing it away -- just felt so good. This sweater might look really cute once it's knit up, but the actual process of knitting it was a big pain in the you-know-what. If you ask me, a knit item for a baby or little kid shouldn't be so complicated. I'm using the rest of this yarn for a baby sweater I like much better.

6 comments:

  1. The socks look AWESOME! As for trashing a wip? I've done it. Somethings are just not worth the work and effort that goes in to or out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I too tried the Trellis sweater, and after three emails with Britta, the designer it was finally said that the pattern found online has errors in it. I tore out the entire back and have moved on to bigger and better things! I also made the sweater you mention here and is how I originally found your blog and became a blogger myself. I do want to make a cable knit baby sweater, and found a Debbie Bliss pattern in one of her books. I haven't begun it yet, I'm busy making shawls at the moment, but when I do, I'll post a picture.

    I like the socks you made your mom, hope she likes them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I look at your lace shawl, it just absolutely amazes me that trellis was difficult for you. Isn't it strange how our brains work? Trellis was easy for me, but I couldn't make that lace shawl if my life depended on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just can't stop laughing at Trellis in your trash can. I was thinking about making it eventually because it looked challenging and somebody will have a kid to fit into it someday, but I kept reading about people having problems with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The socks are very beautiful. I am still trying to decide which of my socks yarns to use for the next Pomatomus when you finish your reversal of the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The finished socks look great!

    ReplyDelete