Pages

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Finished: Solstice Slip

I know that some people had expressed an opinion that, in order to get my wedding shawl done in time, I should stop knitting socks. But these were so close to being done, I couldn't just leave them:

Pattern: The Solstice Slip by JC Briar (June Rockin' Sock Club pattern)
Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock lightweight (100% superwash merino), colorway Firebird, one skein
Needles: two US 1 (2.5 mm) 12" Addi Turbo circs
Started/Completed: July 19/August 1

I decided to knit these toe up, although directions were given for cuff down, because I was worried about running out of yarn trying to cover the whole of my enormous feet. This was probably a good move, even though I did have a little bit of yarn leftover; I would have been too nervous the whole time had I knit them the opposite direction.

I do like the garter stitch short-row heel ...

although on both socks I got a little gap on one side of the heel after completing all the short rows (did anyone else have this problem?).

Of all the sock patterns I've received thus far for the sock club, this is the first one I'd knit again. And now that I know that one skein will successfully knit a pair of socks to fit my feet, I can knit the next pair cuff down!

Meanwhile, I did pick up another sock once these were done. Remember the bad sock? Turns out it was only one pattern repeat and a toe away from being done:

I finished this at lunch today and promptly cast on for its mate. I'm noticing, however, that despite the fact that the two skeins are the same colorway, they are clearly from different dyelots. The new sock is noticeably -- to me, anyway -- darker than the original. I wonder if I leave it in the sun for a couple days if it'll fade?

(For those of you who are wondering why I'm still knitting socks in the face of in impending dealine for the shawl, allow me to explain: I knit socks during my lunch hour at work, in part because they fit in my purse and in part because I can be repeatedly interrupted and I won't lose my place. My work environment is not particularly conducive to knitting lace.)

I have been working on the shawl; I have about 1.5 repeats of the main chart complete. I'll be working on the shawl in the evenings and on the weekend, when I have time to pay it the attention it deserves and get some serious knitting done.

Come to think of it, what am I doing typing? I should be knitting lace!

7 comments:

  1. You may think I'm crazy for loving cables, but that laceweight would kill me. Is laceweight considered yarn? Or is it just thread?

    Could you just wash the darker sock a few times before you wash the other one to fade it a bit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fellow big foot I must ask, is that the lightweight or medium? I'm not a member... :( boo hoo...

    I don't think it's possible to stop knitting socks so I wouldn't ask you to do so. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:42 AM

    Okay, okay...since you knit socks during your lunch hour at work, I think you'll be safe getting the shawl done! I think I'm just envious that 1) I have to take a working lunch. Every day. And 2) although I carry my sock (or some sort of knitting) with me every day, I never get a chance to knit a solitary stitch during work hours. Clearly I must find a job that has a lunch hour, or has some kind of down time that will let me knit a bit.

    See you in 2-1/2 weeks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:43 AM

    PS - I love the solstice slip socks. I really like that colorway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the spirals of color on the solstice slip socks! Both are beautiful!

    Lucky you cranking out socks at lunchtime! :) I would be doing that too instead of hauling lace (and it's pattern) around in my purse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Socks look great, but I'm sorry ... your shawl isn't being knitted with yarn, you're using SERGER THREAD! Yikes! I about fell off my chair when you pulled that thing out on Wednesday night! You are a braver soul than I am!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:34 AM

    One other benefit of having knit Solstice Slip toe up....you did not have to graft 30 stitches to 30 other stitches at the end!! They turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete