Pages

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Dashing

Cross another holiday gift off the list.

Pattern: Dashing by Cheryl Niamath, spring 2007 Knitty
Yarn: Karabella Aurora 8 (100% merino), color 1362, two skeins
Needles: US 7 (4.5 mm) dpns
Started/Completed: October 20/October 23
Recipient: my mother-in-law
Mods: shortened by a few rows between third cable cross and thumb and in hand


These were a quick, satisfying knit. I had to wait until several days after they were completed to do a proper photo shoot, but they knit up in just a handful of evening knitting sessions.

The yarn was a delight. It had been sitting in the stash for quite some time, waiting for the right project. When I asked The Mister for guidance on color choice for his mother, he suggested a neutral shade, so this Aurora 8 fit the bill perfectly. I omitted a few rows here and there in part because I was nervous about running out of yarn (probably wouldn't have been a problem in the end) but also because my mother-in-law has small-ish hands, like me, and I didn't want the mitts to be too long. I tried them on as I went, and as you can see, they're a perfect fit on me. The Mister says she'll love them, so I'm happy. Just a little steam blocking is left and they're ready to go.

I finished some other holiday knitting this weekend, but you'll have to wait until at least tomorrow to see it; it's still drying. Trust me, it's worth it. I'm thrilled.

8 comments:

  1. All your finished holiday knitting is making me feel like a slacker! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:49 PM

    The Dashings are gorgeous. Very nice! Lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're very nice! I wish I could get my MIL to wear something I would knit, but she would put it away safe in a drawer (I'd have to make two--one to wear, one to keep safe in a drawer).

    And like Jenn said, I feel like such the holiday knitting slacker. I haven't even given it a thought! Shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My holiday knitting is minimal, but I'm not as far along as I'd like to be. Of course, I need some size information so I really need to get my kiester in gear! Nice job. Aurora makes awesome yarn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous Dashings! I love Aurora 8 - just not the skimpy yardage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:18 PM

    Dashing is dashing!

    And there's something like 60ish days until Christmas somehow. Doesn't seem possible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! (and great photo shoot) I think I will have to make a pair of those for someone :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! That Aurora 8... serious squoosh. LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete