Pages

Sunday, December 21, 2008

For.Ev.Er.

I finally finished spinning up my latest yarn this weekend, after a full week of plying. It started its life as this fiber, 4 ounces of 50% merino/50% tencel from Chameleon Colorworks, purchased at Natural Stitches.

I think it took me a full week to spin each bobbin of singles -- very, very thin singles.

And then it took me another week to do the plying, a little here and there and then a marathon session of three hours Friday night and two hours Saturday morning.


In the end, I wound up with approximately 680 yards of laceweight two ply as well as a smaller skein (yardage not measured) of Navajo-plied leftover singles from one of the bobbins. The finished yarn is now hanging to dry after its bath, so I can't show you a fully finished picture. I love the results. The yarn is shiny and the color is muted, even compared to the original fiber. It will make a lovely shawl, eventually.

P.S. Happy Solstice and Happy Chanukah to those of you celebrating!

4 comments:

  1. We had a family dinner in honor of my dad's birthday. Does that count as a solstice party? ;-) Hope The Mister got the LeeVees cranked up for your family gathering. This Goyim enjoys their music! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, what amazingly even spinning you did!!! geez! the colorway is gorgeous as well. i haven't tried chameleon colorworks yet, will have to soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:53 AM

    Wow, what beautiful spinning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is GORGEOUS! I love the sheen and those colors!

    ReplyDelete