Pages

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Made from Scratch

The pride I feel from my most recent finished object is something akin to what I imagine a baker might feel upon finishing a fancy wedding cake made from scratch.

Pattern: toe up stockinette worked over 60 sts, with a Fleegle heel, 3x2 ribbed cuff, and sewn bind off
Yarn: my own handspun, from 70% superwash merino/30% alpaca fiber dyed by Kristin of All Spun Up
Needles: two 12" US (2.5 mm) Addi Turbo circs
Started/Completed: February 2/February 11

I am not normally of a fan of toe up socks. I can never seem to get them to fit quite as well as those knit from the cuff down, not to mention the issues with a too-tight bind off. But because my yardage with this yarn was limited and I wanted to maximize my use of it, toe up was the way to go.

Inspired by Dave's socks, also knit with ASU handspun, I decided to try out this new heel. It is fabulous! It starts with gusset increases, and then the heel is completed with what amounts to a really big heel turn that has the appearance of a short-row heel when worn. Working the last couple of decreases while knitting in the round again helps to eliminate any holes.


I solved the tightness at the top with Elizabeth Zimmermann's ingenious sewn bind off. I probably did it a little looser than necessary (so the top is a little ruffle-y when not worn), but it makes for quite a comfortable cuff.

Amazingly, even with my big feet and a generous leg, I still have some yarn left, maybe enough for a pair of baby socks. And now I have some really cozy socks to wear to keep my feet warm as the temperatures are due to drop again (I guess yesterday's high 60s were only a tease).

9 comments:

  1. Widdershins had a similar heel and it was a very comfy heel! I'll have to keep the Fleegle heel in mind. (heh. fleegle.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful! You did a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:43 AM

    they look fabulous!

    and thank you so much for that very informative message you left me on rav about handspun socks. don't you dare apologize for being wordy. it was JUST what i wanted. thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I saw your socks on Ravelry and had to come over to say how lovely they are, and how incredible your spinning job was!!! I am in awe and hope I'm able to spin so evenly some day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them! I bet they feel just as cozy and warm as they look. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. EZ's sewn bind-off is always a little ruffle-ey when it's not on a leg or sock blocker. Don't make it tighter. It defeats the purpose! :-) Glad you're on the toe-up bandwagon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:33 AM

    Pretty pretty handspun socks! I am in awe of everyone who spins!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look great! Thanks for the link to the Fleegle Heel, too. I'll have to try that next time I go toe-up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:56 PM

    Wow, that is REALLY REALLY PRETTY!!!!!

    ReplyDelete