Pages

Sunday, November 22, 2009

One Last Skein

I'm well aware of the fact that my spinning time is very limited. I may be able to sneak in some knitting here and there after the baby is born, but I think it's going to be very difficult to get behind a wheel for some time (not least because the wheel will be going upstairs very shortly to be replaced in the bedroom by the bassinet). So, I wanted to get in one more skein of sock yarn before then, and I decided to make it count. I got out my last braid of All Spun Up superwash merino -- my favorite fiber to spin for sock yarn -- and got to work. I'd been saving this one because the color combination was a little outside my comfort zone, and I knew it'd be a real surprise to see how it would spin up.

Starting with 4.2 ounces, I did a traditional three ply and got a final skein that's somewhere in the range of 352 yards.

I'm really very happy with the results. Right off the bobbin, the skein looked mostly blue, but after its finishing bath, it skews much more green in person. I love the little specks of burnt orange and yellow that pop up from time to time.

One day, I'll knit this up, but for now, it's joining the other skeins of handspun. I think that small stash I have built up will be a real treat to break into when I have time to knit again.

I'm not putting the wheel away just yet -- I'm finishing up some spinalong fiber right now -- but this is the last "complicated" yarn for quite a while. I'd say I'm going out on a high note with this one!

5 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS - you are definitely going out with a bang with this beautiful skein of sock yarn! I love that your click for bigger pictures are so nice and big - I am at the "studying handspun very closely" stage and these big pictures are wonderful.

    Yes, I would guess it will be easier to sneak in knitting time than spinning time post baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! And don't worry, you'll eventually get into a routine with Rainbow and will be able to reunite with your wheel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised? I hope so but hey...priorities change. (You'll have to forgive me....I'm REALLY going to miss your handspun pics because they're so inspiring!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I love those colors. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have really gotten the hang of this spinning thing! That is a beautiful skein of yarn. Does it take a long time to do?

    ReplyDelete