Pages

Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Knitting While I Wait

No baby yet. I'm 39 weeks today, so one more week until my due date and until I start getting really impatient for her to arrive. I'll keep you posted.

Today I had lunch with Amy, who surprised me with a beautiful gift for Rainbow -- this fuzzy flannel quilt.

As you can see, it goes perfectly with the decor of the nursery (which is just as well, because I'd be tempted to keep it for myself it if didn't!). The reverse is white with little pastel hearts, and you can see the swirls of the quilting a little better.

The quilt is super soft and will be great for both wrapping Rainbow up and putting it on the floor to cushion her. I fully expect that it will become her special blankie as she grows up! Thank you so much, Amy!

It was actually good that we met up today, because in the middle of lunch, I started coming down with a migraine (the first symptom of which is always a loss of vision on one side of my visual field). I couldn't very well go back to work when I couldn't see, and as Amy was on her way to Trader Joe's and Natural Stitches, she was kind enough to give me a lift home. Thankfully I was able to sleep it off and am feeling better, but it did put a bit of a damper on the day.

But enough about my headache. This is a knitting blog, right? I've been hesitant to start any big new project, so I pulled out an old WIP in the past week or so. Remember the sock yarn scrap blanket? I finished two more squares in the past several days.

This photo is pretty bad -- the outer border on the square on the left is is really shades of pink and purple with a bit of orange (it's Lorna's Laces left over from my Hederas). If my counting is correct, these are my ninth and tenth completed squares. My original goal was about 20, so that means I'm halfway there. The next square is started (in greens), but beyond that I think I'm going to have to get pretty creative with my yarns, as my scraps are starting to run low.

On Sunday, I didn't have much to do (well, the Mister wouldn't let me do much of anything, I should say), so I decided to throw caution to the wind and start a new project. I thought I'd stick to something small that could be completed pretty quickly just in case and something that would be useful. Mittens! The first one was finished that night.


The pattern is Corazon, from an old issue of Knitty. It'd been in my queue for a long time, and the yarn (Knit Picks Telemark) has been marinating in the stash long enough that one of the colors appears to have been discontinued. I'm a few rows into the colorwork on the second mitten, so I should be able to finish up the pair in the next couple of days.

8 comments:

  1. Girl- it seems like you've been pregnant for-ev-er!

    Good luck on your upcoming event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable blankie! And cute mittens!

    P.S. BTW, do you still have need of purple sock overs? I have some hefty leftovers in Artsygal Stripes from my sunrise socks. Let me know if you want! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'll be thinking about you and the baby the next few (hopefully!) days! and you are such a fast knitter - I can't believe how quickly you finished your mitten!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely quilt - Amy does it again! :) Also, great mitten!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy rules. And I can't believe you knit a whole colorwork mitten in one day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad I was able to help with the ride home! I could tell you weren't feeling well and boy was it easy to get to NS from your house! Also glad you guys like the quilt. I'm still peeved Moda quit making that flannel line. :-) Here's hoping that quilt is in use very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:50 PM

    Seiously? 39 weeks already? I'm sure you're saying finally, not already :-)

    That baby blanket is so sweet!

    I hope your migraine is gone; migraines are awful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the square on the right...very minimal, very Mark Rothko-esque.

    ReplyDelete