Pages

Sunday, December 06, 2009

Twice the Fun

Here is the very last pre-baby handspun post, because the wheel has been officially retired to the third-floor fiber room to make room for the bassinet in the bedroom.

I started out with this fiber, approximately four ounces of hand-dyed Falkland that made up the November/December All Spun Up spinalong. I'd sat out the previous SAL, but I couldn't resist trying a new-to-me fiber this time around. The colors in this braid were just gorgeous and incredibly hard to capture on camera -- deep plummy purples, sapphire blues, forest greens, and just a hint of orangey gold.

I had a bit of a hard time deciding what to do with this fiber initially. Someone on the ASU Ravelry board had mentioned that Falkland is great for singles yarns because of its long staple length, and as I hadn't tried a singles yarn since the Tour de Fleece, that sounded like a good idea. I split the top in half down the length of it to make it easier to handle and sat down at the wheel. My original intent was to get a worsted-weight single, but as usual I kept reverting to something thinner than that. So the first 2 oz. of fiber (which nearly filled one bobbin) ended up somewhere in the range of sport to DK weight and approximately 200 yards. I'm not sure what I'll make with it yet (hat? mittens?), but I'm enjoying looking at it for now.

As I was spinning, I was keeping an eye on the SAL thread on the Ravelry board and saw some gorgeous laceweight singles someone else had spun with this fiber. So, I decided to use the second half of the fiber for that. This 2 oz. yielded about 406 yards, so probably enough for a small shawl or lacy scarf.


Both yarns turned out very well. I finished them using some cold water shocks to slightly full the yarn and did some pretty aggressive thwacking. I was pleasantly surprised by how little abuse I had to inflict to get the skeins to hang straight -- straighter even than some of the plied yarns I've spun in the past.

I'm already feeling a little spinning withdrawal, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get the wheel back out before too long. If I really feel the urge to spin, I might even have to get out my spindle and practice my spindling skills!

4 comments:

  1. The colours in your yarn make me think of peacock feathers.
    Good luck with the baby, whenever she shows up! I thought I would have no time for hobbies in the first few months, but new babies sleep so much, I actually had plenty of time for knitting. You are tired all the time, but knitting (and possibly spinning) lets you sit in a comfy chair doing something relaxing. Just the break you need sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both yarns are gorgeous, but I think that the first one is my favorite of all of your handspun to date. What a gorgeous colorway, and I am a sucker for a singles yarn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those colors and both yarns look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have gotten so good at this spinning thing in such a short time! This one is my favorite yet! And I love how you can make it in different weights. I'm seriously contemplating taking a spinning class this spring.

    ReplyDelete