Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

One Bobbin Full

It's been a while since I had a spinning post on a Sunday because I've been working on the same project for almost a month. It's not quite done, but at least I've reached a milestone in the process. Here's a full bobbin, holding 4 oz. of extremely thin (40+ wpi) singles of All Spun Up polwarth/silk


This bobbin is resting at the moment until I figure out what to do next. I have another 4 oz. of this same fiber/colorway, and originally I thought I'd spin that up the same way and ply the two together for one really enormous laceweight skein. But now I'm having second thoughts, not only because it'll take me another month (maybe) to spin the second bobbin of singles but also because I'm not sure what I'd do with 1,600-2,00 yards of laceweight. So I may end up chain plying this one and splitting the other 4 oz. in two to spin a laceweight with that. Or not. Any suggestions are appreciated.

In the meantime, to take a break from spinning so thin, I got out this month's Crown Mountain Farms shipment (4 oz. of Icelandic top) while Rainbow took her nap this afternoon and spun up two bobbins' worth in a ridiculously short amount of time. Here's what it looked like before:


This was my first time spinning this particular breed, and it was interesting -- definitely on the hairy side, though not as unpleasant as the Lincoln I spun several months ago. My singles are about fingering weight, and it looks like it'll ply up to about DK weight.

I'm excited that this fiber went so quickly, because I'm really trying to make a dent in my stash; my fiber stash, like my yarn stash, has gotten a bit out of control. That didn't seem to stop me, though, from picking up some more yesterday at Indie Knit and Spin.

Falkland from CosySpins
Falkland from Gwen Erin
Falkland is one of my favorite fibers, and I haven't spun any in a while, so I'm looking forward to getting at these soon!

4 comments:

  1. I have really been wanting to spin, but I am making myself finish my sister's sweater before I get out the spindle again.

    Were there any unicorn farts at the show? hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some really beautiful laceweight cardigans out there... Maybe it would be worth the month of spinning to get all that yardage?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hear you on the endless thin spinning. i have to say though, there's lots of things you can make with big laceweight yardage, like a sweater or nice big stole. i end up with a lot of 500-600yds of handspun lace and those i have a harder time finding a project for.

    then again, when i do finally finish the 1200yd skein it took me months to complete, i kind of never want to look at it again. so it's all a matter of perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could go to the various indie events around town, but they are all on Saturdays and I'm at work. Oh well. And I love hearing about the various and assorted sheep breeds that you're spinning. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete