Pages

Tuesday, December 04, 2012

The One and Only

If you've been reading this blog for a while, then you know that I usually knit a fair number of holiday gifts. In the past, there have been socks, scarves, shawls, and goofy hats. This year, though, with the craziness at my full-time job, my designing obligations, and my toddler, I've had my hands full, so I swore off holiday knitting. That was until I got an e-mail from my brother.

My brother, you see, has always been the last one to ask me for anything knit (and that's a good thing, too, because he's about 6'2" and has feet to match). The last time he requested anything was when he was in college and requested a Harry Potter-type scarf in his school colors. He was so appreciative of that scarf that when he sent me an e-mail asking me if I could make him a beard hat like these, I couldn't say no. I looked at a few patterns on Ravelry and then decided I could wing it on my own. So on Thanksgiving, I took some key measurements, and on Black Friday I picked up the yarn.

Because this is my brother, and his laundry abilities are doubtful, I picked out Berocco Comfort, which I figure should be pretty indestructible. Despite the fact that he has an enormous head (23.5" circumference!), I cast on for the hat Sunday afternoon and finished it up last night.


Next up is the beard part, which will be the trickier component. I'm planning to add tabs to each side with a buttonhole in them so that the beard can be buttoned into the hat or removed if he wants to wear the hat on its own. I'll probably work some short rows at the chin to make it curve nicely, and of course there will be a little cutout for the mouth. Chanukah starts this Saturday night, so my goal will be to finish it by then -- and considering tomorrow night is a knit night, I think that's totally doable!

3 comments:

  1. I think that for future holidays, you should design and knit additional beards for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you on resisting holiday gift knitting! But I can't wait to see the beard hat. The Fat Squirrel knitted one recently and it's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knit one of those for my DS for Halloween! The shaping is super easy. And he actually wore it because Halloween was SUPER cold and it kept his face warm :)

    ReplyDelete