Pages

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

I Could Kiss These Heels

Hey, look what I finished last night!


Pattern: Fish Lips Kiss Heel (toe up) by Patty-Joy White, aka the Sox Therapist
Yarn: my handspun Corriedale from Southern Cross Fibre in Splendour
Needles: US 0 (2.0 mm) 40 in. Addi Sock Rockets, magic loop
Started/Completed: April 17/May 2

I'm very pleased with these socks. In fact, I'd even say they're the best-fitting toe-up socks I've ever knit. There's a reason why this pattern is so popular on Ravelry, and it's well worth the $1 it costs. The pattern is long, but that's because it's filled with explanations and photo tutorials to show you how to work this ingenious and simple short-row heel. I may just use this short row method from now on, in fact.

For these socks, I started with 20 stitches and Judy's Magic Cast On, then increased to 72 total stitches. I knit the leg for a total of 7 inches (5 inches of stockinette and 2 inches of 2x2 ribbing), finishing off with the Miraculous Elastic Bind Off. I ended up using approximately 316 yards of my yarn, and there's still a good portion leftover for who knows what (into the leftover bin it goes).


I won't go as far as to say that I'm a toe-up convert; overall, I still prefer a cuff-down sock (mainly because I miss Kitchenering when working toe up). But it's good to know that I can knit a pair toe up that will fit well when I'm limited on yarn or need to go toe up for some other reason.

Meanwhile, I've reached an important point in my Hitofude: I have joined the sleeves and moved on to the ribbing around the neckline. And, as you can see, I've also moved on to a new color.


It looks a little strange now, but once I get through about eight more rounds of this, I'll be binding off the neckline and moving on to the body. It should be smooth sailing from there -- perfect for the drive down to Maryland this weekend!

I've also started a new project for my lunchtime knitting, now that the socks are done. Lisa of the 90% Knitting podcast and Fibernymph Dye Works is hosting a knitalong for the month of May that she's calling Mini Mayhem. All projects must be 100 yards of yarn or less. I thought this was a perfect excuse to bust some leftovers stash.


The pattern I'm using is the Earbud Pouch, which is super simple and quick to knit (also free, an added bonus). I'm using a bunch of Fibernymph sock yarn leftovers to start; I figure I can knit up a bunch of these and then use them as little holiday gifts. The first one was cast on last night and finished up at lunch today, and it only used about 16 yards. I'm already about halfway through the second. Perfect for instant gratification!

No comments:

Post a Comment