Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Splendour in the Wool

This skein was finished last weekend, but the lack of daylight in general at this time of year and the gloomy morning weather we've had this past week have made it extremely difficult to get a decent photo of anything, so I had to wait until yesterday to get a photo that would do it justice. But here it is, finally:

Southern Cross Fibre Corriedale in Splendour

I had split the top several times vertically and then spun the strips end to end. Once all the singles were on a bobbin, I chain plied them (after they rested a good two weeks while we were on vacation). The finished yarn is fingering weight and approximately 385 yards, which should be enough for a pair of socks for me.


I will say that this yarn is maybe a tad underplied for my taste (I tend to like a lot of plying twist in my sock yarns), but the skein is balanced and that means less fighting with the yarn when I do eventually knit it up.

Meanwhile, I'm in the middle of what will likely be a long-term spinning project. This is my Polwarth gradient for the Gradient-along. I've just started seeing a bit of the second color show up on the bobbin.


I haven't taken a close look at the fiber that is left of this first braid, but I'm guessing I'm probably in the neighborhood of a fourth of the way through it. I have 8 oz. total to spin, and given how fine I'm spinning the singles, that's not going to be an easy task, so expect to see bobbin shots of this project for the foreseeable future.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love the colors in that finished skein! That's going to be some great socks :)

    ReplyDelete