Pages

Thursday, September 07, 2017

Trying to Extend Summer

I must start out my post by admitting that while I have made a bit of progress on my Rhinebeck sweater, it's only a very little bit because I have been cheating on it with my spinning the past couple of nights. I was very anxious to finish up some singles and then ply, so that meant a few hours at my wheel. But I'll be giving the sweater my full attention tonight and try to get in some extra time over the weekend so that I don't feel quite so guilty.

Meanwhile, I have started a new pair of socks for my lunchtime knitting using some extremely deep stash. I bought this skein of ONline Supersocke Cotton Beach Color (now discontinued) at Knit One at least a decade ago, likely when I was living in my apartment and it was my LYS. It was likely before my former LYS, Natural Stitches, opened and before the Mister and I moved in together (we were living together for a bit more than a year before we got married, and we just celebrated our 10th anniversary this past weekend, so that should give you a sense of the timeline).


I am not sure what caused me to buy this skein, although I know I did knit the Mister a pair of socks in the same yarn at one point, so perhaps the two skeins were bought at the same time. Regardless, it's been sitting in my stash ever since. The yarn is a blend of 45% cotton, 40% wool, and 15% nylon, and I suspect that high cotton content is what has kept it in the stash. I don't usually knit with a lot of cotton or cotton blend yarns because their lack of give tends to make my hands ache when I work with them. I am managing okay with this sock, but I'm definitely slower than I am with pure wool or mostly wool. I do like the feel of the fabric I am getting, though, and I think the socks will be good for times like now, early fall and late spring, when there's a bit of chill in the air but it gets warm enough over the course of the day that wool socks are a tad too warm. And the colors make me think of the colors of Cape Cod, where we just were on vacation, so working on the sock makes me feel a bit like it's still the middle of summer.

The weekend coming up should be a fairly busy one, but I'm hoping to find time to finish plying that distracting skein of handspun, get in a run, and get in some decent knitting time on the Rhinebeck sweater. I hope that whatever you have planned, you enjoy it!

1 comment:

  1. I love the muted colors of that sock, so perhaps with the slower knitting the colors will be pleasing to you as well! And, I am confident that you will bang out your Rhinebeck sweater with no issues!

    ReplyDelete