Thursday, August 09, 2018

One Satisfied Customer

My baby girl is back home! Tuesday turned out to be an exhausting day -- I actually walked between my house and my office four times over the course of the day -- but it was good to have her home and to go to sleep knowing that she was sleeping across the hall.

I had Rainbow try on the knee socks once she was settled so we could determine the correct finished length, and she said they needed about half an inch more to be (in her words) perfect. That was a very easy fix, so I was able to finish them up that night.

Please note that she posed like this on her own, with no direction from me.

Pattern: Toe-up stockinette, worked over 60 stitches, with a Fish Lips Kiss Heel
Yarn: Fibernymph Dye Works Bounce (80% superwash Merino, 20% nylon) in Martini Bar (club colorway), 0.84 skeins
Needles: US 0 (2.0 mm) Addi Sock Rockets, magic loop
Started/Completed: July 21/August 7

When I started these socks, I knew I'd want to have the ability to knit until I ran out of yarn, so I wound the yarn into a cake and then put it on my scale so I could wind another that was half the weight. Because of the long stripe sequence, I also didn't worry about getting the stripes to match (though they did end up close). I used the template I'd made of Rainbow's feet for the FLKH method, giving her just a bit of extra room in the foot so she won't outgrow them right away. I didn't increase at all in the leg, either, counting on that negative ease to help keep them up. They're entirely in stockinette, finished with 2.5 inches of 2x2 ribbing at the top. Easy-peasy -- just a lot of knitting. Amazingly, I have yarn leftover, which is surprising given that these aren't all that much smaller than the socks I make for myself and have legs that are 11.5 inches long.

Rainbow is thrilled with them, and that means so am I. I'm not sure how much she'll actually wear them, though, so I will wait a bit until I knit her another very large pair of socks.

Because I finished these on Tuesday night before bed and didn't have more time to knit until my lunch break yesterday, I had a brief period of time yesterday when I had nothing -- literally nothing -- on the needles. It was pure torture, let me tell you. Fortunately, I had yarn and needles with me to cast on for something new, so the torture didn't last too long. I am knitting up a new hat design using yummy Shetland yarn from the Ross Farm. It doesn't look like much now, but I'll be adding in a bit of colorwork soon using another color.


All of the farm's yarns are breed specific, undyed, and minimally processed, so while that does mean that I'm pulling out a bit of VM here and there while I'm knitting, my hands are also getting nice and soft from the bit of lanolin that's still in the wool. This Shetland is so soft, too! One of these days, I might have to knit myself a sweater out of this stuff.

1 comment:

  1. The pose and the socks are AWESOME!! And, I will be interested in seeing how that hat unfolds!

    ReplyDelete