Pages

Sunday, October 06, 2019

Autumn, Officially

After several days last week that felt like mid-July rather than October, I am happy to report that autumn has officially arrived here in Western Pennsylvania. Friday was comfortably cool (I wore a wool cardigan all day and only got a little warm on my walk in to work), and Saturday when the Mister and I lined up for the start of another 5K race, it was a balmy 42F! I wore wool socks yesterday and made soup and apple crisp for dinner tonight, and it feels wonderful!

I hadn't done any spinning since finishing my big project last weekend, but Friday nights I usually spend at my wheel, watching podcasts and spinning. So this past Friday evening I did just that, starting a new project -- some Romney fiber dyed by Sherrill that I won for Camp Spin 15 this summer. I divided the fiber into thirds for a traditional three ply, and while I originally intended to spin some sock yarn, it's not being terribly cooperative as far as spinning as fine as I'd need to, so I'm just going with it. The first bobbin is already done.


The fiber was dyed in shades of blue and green, with a bit of white in there as well, so there's some nice blending happening.

I've already started the second bobbin and have made good progress, and considering that I'm likely to do some spinning on Wednesday while I'm off work for Yom Kippur (anything requiring thinking or counting doesn't work so well with fasting, so spinning is typically a good activity), there's a good chance I'll have this off the wheel by this time next weekend.

It's been a really good fall weekend here, though too short, as always. The race went well yesterday (my time wasn't quite as good as my PR last week, but it was close, and I ran the whole course for the first time), we got to go out to dinner with some friends, and I've had some time to read and rest. I did finish up Eleanor Oliphant Friday and really enjoyed it, so now I'm back to reading Just Mercy. I'm expecting another library hold in two weeks or so, giving me enough time (I hope) to finish the other three books I'm in the middle of at the moment. I also got my sweater pattern off to my tech editor, so I now have that weight off my shoulders, and I'm looking forward to Rhinebeck. See why I love this time of year?

1 comment:

  1. This has been a dramatic weather change and yes, it feels so good to have a sweater on sipping my coffee!

    ReplyDelete