Pages

Thursday, May 07, 2020

Three Blocks Filled

I'm joining in with Carole and friends for Three on Thursday, today with three blocks I've filled on my Stay at Home Bingo card this week. Somehow the powers that be all aligned and I was in a spot to read a lot this week, so don't think this is a regular occurrence!

First, my library hold came up on the fourth book in Ann Cleeves' Shetland series, Blue Lightening. These books are good, and they're also a very fast read. I managed to get through this one in two days. I enjoyed it -- 4 stars. It got put in the "Thriller" box on my bingo card.

Next up was Nine Elms, which I'd gotten as an Amazon First Reads freebie a while back. I started reading it to fill the "Number in the Title" box on my bingo card. It started off promising and was a page turner, but in the end I found it a little too graphic for my taste (I much prefer my murder mysteries to spend more time describing the food the detectives eat, as in the Gamache books, than the state of the bodies). I gave it 2 stars.

Finally, the winner of the three books finished this week was Ask Again, Yes, which I loved. It was the book I've been listening to while I run, and I finished it up after yesterday's run because I had only about 10 minutes yet. I enjoyed this much more than the last Mary Beth Keane book I read, and I especially liked how parts of the story were told from the point of view of different characters, so it really felt like I was getting a complete picture of the whole story. I gave it 5 stars.

I now have nine squares filled on my bingo card, though no bingos yet, and have started thinking strategically about how to fill the rest. I went browsing in my library app last night for my next read and next listen, so I've started Alias Grace and have The Rules of Magic queued up on audio for my next run. I'll have to think about where to put them, because both could go in two or more squares on my card.


I'm still crafting quite a bit while I read. The shawl is still on the needles but is closer to completion now that I've moved on to the border, but the rows are quite long (they take about 15-20 minutes each now). I have absolutely no idea how big the shawl will be and will need to wait until it's bound off and blocked to find out.


I've also continued to work on Rainbow's crochet blanket for a bit each day, though it doesn't look much different from the last time you saw it. Yesterday I got a bit distracted by some other crochet.


This is the Churchmouse Yarn and Teas Half a Granny Square Shawl pattern that I adapted to kerchief size, which I've seen several people do lately. I used some leftover handspun and managed to whip this up in a couple of hours yesterday. Of course Rainbow is now demanding one of her own, so I expect you'll see another one of these soon!

Have a good one, all! I'll be back on Sunday with, I expect, a lot of spinning -- the weather forecast is not looking very good.

8 comments:

  1. I love kerchiefs! I did a handknit kerchief for Valentine's Day when my oldest was 8 years old. It turned out cute but was a little thick to tie. It looks like this one gets pinned? That would make so much more sense :) Your BINGO card is inspiring! I thought for sure I'd make mine as soon as Mary put it out there...but I will probably wait til school wraps up here. Hoping my pace picks up then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed Ask Again, Yes much more than Fever, and I'm thinking I might also enjoy some Ann Cleeves. That shawl is lovely and you chose wonderful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have put Ask Again, Yes on my list to request (I fear the avalanche that is about to come down on my from the library! lol)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rules of Magic has been on my 'must read' list for a while. Practical Magic is one of my favorite movies so I don't know why I have put off reading the book.
    Your shawl if gorgeous! LOVE that color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your board is filling up! Alias Grace is my FAVORITE Margaret Atwood (and that's saying something, because I LOVE her) and I also LOVED Rules of Magic. I'm jealous that you have such fantastic reading coming up!

    I can't wait to see that shawl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Colleen8:46 AM

    I loved The Rules of Magic. Rarely have I read a book before you! I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I haven't been in touch for a while - sorry!! The books sound interesting (and I am absolutely with you on the "more food less corpse state!" point of view!!) - can a book fill only ONE bingo card? Or could it be more than one?
    I saw your kerchief on ravelry, and I love the colours! Churchmouse has some very pretty and simple, yet elegant patterns, and this is one of them.
    I'm really curious about your shawl as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that half granny square ... and your Yentl pose! Yay YOU on the books! I want to re-read Practical Magic and Rules of Magic to get ready for Magic Lessons. It was such a treat to meet Alice Hoffman last fall ... I wonder if there will be a book festival this year?!

    ReplyDelete