Pages

Sunday, May 31, 2020

Twisting the Night (and Day) Away

Spinning content might be boring for a while. Although my initial goal was to spin up 6 oz. of my Rambouillet fleece, I figured that as long as I was in the groove, I might as well spin it all. In for a penny, in for a pound, right? I know I'll be happy that I did it this way in the long run, as my singles are more likely to be consistent if I spin them all start to finish with nothing in between. I'm certainly still enjoying spinning this fiber, but it's not very exciting to show.


Three bobbins are now complete, and I'm working on the fourth. When I start running out of empty bobbins, I'll start winding the singles off using my ball winder and sliding the resulting cakes onto empty paper tubes (my cheap and low-tech storage bobbins). I am hoping to get at least a couple more spun up this week, and it would be lovely to have all the singles spun by the end of June.

In the meantime, I have some excellent motivation to finish so I can move on to some dyed fiber: my April Southern Cross Fibre club showed up yesterday!


Shipping of this club always takes a while, as it's coming across at least one ocean to get to me, but the pandemic has made things even more complicated. David is now unable to ship to a number of countries, and his fiber supply has been affected, limited what he's able to get to dye, so anything that comes to me from this club seems like a huge deal. This colorway is called Hope Springs -- an excellence sentiment -- and it's on grey Corriedale wool. I love the depth of the color on the grey fiber, and I think this is going to be really beautiful spun up -- but not until after the fleece is done!

3 comments:

  1. Your spinning is never boring, and that new fiber is quite lovely (the name, colors, and the background behind it)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new fibre!! I can imagine that shipping is difficult right now, but all the better that you are not done with the fleece, so it can sit close to your spinning wheel and you can pet it and admire it from afar.
    Your spinning looks great - is it going into the handspun pile or do you have immediate plans for it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your title here :) And just from reading how you write about it, I'm imagining how rhythmic and calming spinning must be, once you've got it down.

    ReplyDelete