Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Perfect Timing

I rarely seem to finish things at the right time to use them. It's not unusual for me to finish a heavy, super-warm sweater in the middle of the summer. But friends, this time I got it right. When I got up this morning, it was 46F outside -- fall is here! And I have a brand-new sweater to wear!

Pattern: Torbellino (Ravelry link) by Kristen Jancuk, size XS
Yarn: Jill Draper Makes Stuff Kingston (100% Targhee wool) in Hasbrouck Ave. (red) and Wiltwyck (gray)
Needles: US 5 (3.75 mm) and US 4 (3.5 mm)
Started/Completed: July 8/September 9
Mods: adjustments for gauge (see below)

This project had been planned for quite a while. I bought the pattern as part of the larger collection (Ravelry link) that Kristen released in the spring of 2018 and then bought the yarn for the sweater at Maryland Sheep and Wool that May. Jill had just released the yarn, and I went to her booth first for the specific purpose of getting my hands on some for this sweater.

 
When I finally got around to casting on this sweater this summer, finally egged on to do it by Kristen's Sweater-along, I discovered that not only did I probably need to knit a smaller size than I originally intended, but I had to knit the smallest size because my gauge was a bit off and going down another needle size would have resulted in bulletproof fabric. Knitting a smaller size worked for my stitch gauge, but my row gauge was also off a tad, so I had to add some additional rounds to the yoke to make up for the difference. If you looked closely at the slip-stitch colorwork in the yoke, you'd see that I have more of it than called for, as I added additional rounds (without increasing) and continued the colorwork pattern.

Other than those minor modifications, I followed the pattern as written, and I'm really happy with how it turned out! I also used much less yarn than anticipated -- only about 790 yards of the red and a bit less than 100 yards of the gray. That leaves me plenty leftover to play with in another project; I'm thinking mittens.

Wearing this sweater will take a little bit of thought due to the wide neckline and shorter sleeves; I'm used to wearing a long-sleeved t-shirt underneath my sweaters, and that really won't work with this one (though certainly if I wear that ensemble at home, no one but my family will see me and they already think I'm a bit odd). I had to tuck in my bra straps for these photos, but I don't see that as a viable solution for the long term. Any advice on how to wear a wide neckline like this? You can tell I don't usually go for this silhouette because I'm clueless about how to wear it!

9 comments:

  1. Torbellino (or Tortellini in my mind) is a gorgeous sweater and it looks great on you! I'm sorry I don't have any neckline advice, but hope you get some so you can show off the sweater in public (and not your bra straps)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful sweater! I love everything about it. I have no neckline advice either, but I would most likely just go bra-less!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is gorgeous, I love the colour combo you have used. Can you still buy strapless bras? I have one which I wear with clothing such as this, where the straps would show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably could wear a strapless bra, but my issue is that I don't like wearing sweaters with nothing on underneath -- I don't like getting body oil and deodorant on them. It's probably something I should have thought about before knitting the sweater, but I guess it's too late now!

      Delete
  4. Yeh sleeve length and neckline are my favorite things about this sweater! (Of course.) It looks beautiful on you. My only advice would be maybe a slate-gray tank top?? Though that wouldn’t address the deodorant issue, just cover the bra straps. (Weddings are the only occasion that warrant strapless bras, if you ask me. I’ve never had a comfortable one!) I hope you find a way to feel great wearing it, because it really looks fantastic on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on that rule for strapless bras! They're never comfortable! I think I just need to either get used to going bra-less or accept that any shirt underneath this sweater is going to look a little weird.

      Delete
  5. I love how this turned out. I can't think of any advice for the neckline either, other than maybe a collared shirt? But maybe that feels a bit over the top? Or maybe a flowy undershirt with a cute neckline and sleeves that will intentionally show? This picture doesn't show the sleeves, but it does show the flowy bottom:

    https://www.nordstrom.com/s/shirting-layer-pullover-swtr/4113022

    Something like this MIGHT work??

    https://amzn.to/32FkhCo (but this is also sleeveless and I'm not sure what the flowy polyester material would look like next to the wool.)

    https://amzn.to/33zRHBL (this one looks like cap sleeves and might be pretty layered underneath)

    I think finding a good way to layer this will be key!

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions! Clearly I just need to keep my eye out for a top that will work and make do with what I have in the meantime (which shouldn't be an issue, because no one will see me anytime soon except for my family).

      Delete
  6. Oh yay! the sweater turned out beautifully ... and I love that you put your hair up for these photos! so pretty! I wear sweaters over a bra all the time, especially in the summer. They do need to get washed a few times a season, but it's worth it to wear hand knits year-round. That said, I love the idea of a pretty blouse underneath, or maybe a tank top with pretty/lacy straps that would show on purpose? I think you should show off your lovely shoulders and neck :-)

    ReplyDelete