Pages

Tuesday, September 08, 2020

Sometimes I Publish Patterns, Too

First, I have to thank you all for your kind words for the Mister. I'm happy to report that he is doing well, save a little stomach upset from the antibiotics, which we expected (it happened frequently to Rainbow with her many ear infections -- at least this time I don't have to change any diapers). We are very thankful that if this had to happen, it at least happened over a weekend, enabling the Mister to step back a bit from work and my parents to keep an eye on Rainbow while we were at the hospital. I am glad that everyone is now back to the "new normal," as it were, and I hope this is the last medical issue we have to deal with for a long time.

The past few months have been filled with a lot of crafting and reading but not that much designing. Just as in the early days of lock down I didn't have the attention for knitting, the pandemic has really suppressed my creative juices. That finally seems to be lifting a bit (and I have no doubt that cooler temperatures and the calendar's creep to fall are partly responsible), and today I've actually published a new pattern. This is the Slipdash Hat, which a number of people requested I design to coordinate with the cowl of the same name.

As you can see, it's a comfy, slouchy hat knit in fingering weight yarn, using the same slip-stitch pattern that plays so nicely with self-striping yarn. I once again used Fibernymph Dye Works Bounce, this time in the colorway Seven Deadly Sins -- that's an eight-striper (one color for each sin plus the black in between). I love this kind of hat for these transitional times of year, those days when there's a chill in the air first thing in the morning or after the sun goes down but it's not quite cold yet. I designed this one to have a bit of flexibility in the amount of slouch, determined by how much of the deep ribbed brim you fold up.

The crown of the hat has the traditional "swirl" of gradual decreases, and to keep the top in harmony with the slipped stitches on the body, the rounds in between decrease rounds have slipped stitches in them, too. The effect -- other than the obvious visual effect, of course -- is a somewhat nubbly texture to the fabric, and I'm wondering if it might make for a slightly warmer hat than straight stockinette because of the small floats on the wrong side.

I've graded this one to fit everyone in the family, baby to adult large, and you can get a hat for any size out of one 100 g skein of most fingering weight yarns. It's now available on Ravelry and on Payhip, and it's $1 off for the first week on both sites using the code SLIPITGOOD.

I'll be back tomorrow with a post looking back at SAH Book Bingo and an update on my WIPs!

8 comments:

  1. So cute! (and thank you for the Payhip link!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this colorful and interestingly-textured hat!
    P.S. I wonder if the Mister has tried acidophilus tablets or yogurt with active cultures? It's what our pediatrician always recommended when the kids needed antibiotics and it seemed to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun hat! I am doing a lot of donation hat knitting these days. It will be fun to add this one to my pattern list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is BEAUTIFUL! Are the small sizes slouchy as well? Or is it possible to work them more like a beanie?

    The colours look fantastic on you - I saw the picture this morning and it already brightened up my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! All the sizes are written to be slouchy, but they can be made less so by working fewer rounds before starting the crown.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on publishing this new pattern. The colors are very cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so adorable!! Congratulations on the new pattern :)

    ReplyDelete