Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2021

A Spin to Savor

Normally by almost 8:30 on a Sunday evening, I'd be tucked up in bed with my knitting, waiting for my PBS program to start. Tonight, however, I am just sitting down to type up a quick blog post. It's been a heck of a weekend, and I'm thankful that I am off tomorrow because it means I'll finally have a day that will feel like a weekend. I had such a busy end to my work week, culminating in a four-hour Zoom session Friday morning that prevented me from doing actual work and resulted in me having to catch up on that work this afternoon. So needless to say, I do not have a finished skein of handspun to share this Sunday, though I started a new spin earlier in the week and for a while thought I might have it finished up in a matter of days.

While the stress of work is something I could do without, the fact that it's forced me to take things slowly with this spin is not entirely a bad thing. I'm spinning this gorgeous Polwarth from Southern Cross Fibre:


I briefly entertained the idea of doing a fractal spin with this, but in the end I could not bear to mix up these gloriously saturated colors, so I am spinning the fiber from end to end and will chain-ply the singles.


Polwarth is probably my favorite wool breed to spin. It's the result of crossing Merino and Lincoln sheep; while you're likely very familiar with Merino, let me tell you that if you've ever encountered Lincoln wool, it's likely been in something like a carpet. I have spun it and it gave me the willies because it felt like spinning human hair, and it's generally not used for anything worn next to the skin. But cross-breeding resulted in a soft wool with a slightly longer staple length than Merino, and it's an absolute delight to spin. I am consciously spinning my singles very fine because there's this thing called the Polwarth poof: When you wash Polwarth yarn, it has a tendency to poof up dramatically. So you might put a skein in to soak thinking you have fingering and wind up with DK or worsted weight. I am hoping to get fingering with this spin, but I've been fooled before. Regardless, I'm about 2/3 of the way done with the singles, and I'm hoping I can spin up the last of the fiber in the next day or two. If I can remember, I will take before and after photos of the yarn so you can see the poof!

10 comments:

  1. Yikes! I'm sorry to hear that you had to work on a Sunday but I'm glad you're enjoying this spin. And I hope you enjoyed All Creatures Great and Small last night :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A four hour Zoom session sounds like torture! But PBS, spinning, and a day off may help with work stress. Looking forward to seeing that lovely yarn and the poof!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you find some peace and calm today, Sarah! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard from a number of people this weekend that work stress is building up. Sorry it is nipping at your door too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From a non-spinner, that poof sounds like FUN! Thanks for planning before + afters. I'd love to see it (though I can imagine it could be a real pain if one had a plan for it!) Enjoy this day and claim it for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thankful that by now I expect the poof and plan ahead for it, but the first couple of times it did take me by surprise!

      Delete
  6. Uuuugh ... yeah, okay, I'm pretty sure the human hair feeling would give me the creeps, too. (that takes the Coraline feeling to a whole new level! you know, when you are making an amigurumi and you have to sew on limps and eyes ...) But the colours are super pretty! Did you get this through a club shipment, or did your bought it as a single?

    I really hope this week will be better - a FOUR HOUR session sounds incredibly exhausting. PHEW.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry your work has been hectic and a 4 hour Zoom meeting just sounds like torture. That is mighty pretty fiber though and I'm sure you will get some beautiful yarn from it. I'm looking forward to seeing the poof!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard some of that same work-stress from Katie and my sister yesterday ... sending good vibes for the work week! and the spinning week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Four hour zoom sessions should be against the law... yikes. I hope your day off yesterday was productive with things you like to do!

    ReplyDelete