Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2021

I Can Stop Anytime I Want

I have to start this post by saying that I am really happy it's Tuesday. Mondays are never my favorite, but yesterday was a doozy. Rainbow went back to in-person school yesterday morning for the first time since before Thanksgiving, and because the school had had them bring all their stuff home to do virtual class in December, she had a fully stuffed backpack plus two full tote bags to take in with her. I guess that was too much to keep track of, because about three minutes after she and the Mister drove off, I noticed that she'd forgotten her lunch, so I called him and they had to circle back to retrieve it. As if that wasn't enough, around the same time, we got an automated phone call from the water company letting us know that they were doing work in our area and we might experience low water pressure or total loss of service. "Might experience" turned into about five hours of no water (and I have to say that from what I could see when I went to pick Rainbow up from school, it didn't look like they'd done anything). Thankfully the switch-off happened while I was on my walk, after I'd already had coffee and breakfast and brushed my teeth, but there's nothing like knowing that you don't have water to make you constantly feel like you have to pee! I also didn't get to shower until about 2:15, so I was in my workout clothes most of the day. At least I didn't have to go to the office!

Knitting was pretty crucial to maintaining my sanity yesterday. In between checking the faucet, I worked on my second Bousta Beanie (yes, you read that correctly), and I finished it up last night:


The first hat, the one on the right here, was finished and blocked last week, and I so enjoyed knitting it, I decided to do another with the leftover yarn and the colors reversed. The latest one, on the left, obviously has not been blocked yet, but you might be able to tell that it's a bit smaller than the first. The first one fits me but has a little room, and because the natural yarn was a bit thinner than the dyed yarn, I thought I'd go down a needle size when using it as the main color. It's a snug fit on me but likely will relax a bit in blocking. Rainbow had asked if I'd make her a hat and I'd intended to give her one of these, but she tried on the first one and said it was a little too scratchy for her, so I guess I need to use some merino for hers and find another recipient for one of these (or, I suppose, just keep them both for myself). I still have some of both yarns leftover, though not nearly enough for another hat. I am tempted to raid my stash for partial skeins of fingering and see what color combinations I can come up with, but I also should probably move on to another project. Right?

6 comments:

  1. Those are very nice hats, and I especially like the first one with the darker ribbing. And after a long time without water and no real prior notification, I think you deserve to knit hats for another day or two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute hats! Good plan to reverse them! (I too have a child who complains about the scratchiness of wool... sigh. She doesn't get many knit items because they are all "too scratchy"!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh I love those hats - so pretty! sorry they are too scratchy for Rainbow (her loss!!). I hope here "for real" school goes ok. My friend's daughter teaches middle school in NC and she is still teaching virtually, yet her daughter (8 years old) is in "real school." Awkward to say the least and they can't get together with anyone (my friend) because of the "real school." Hopefully we will all be vaccinated soon and this nonsense can be finished!! Glad your water wasn't shut off for any longer (and I agree - as soon as I know there is no water, that triggers the "I gotta pee" feeling).

    ReplyDelete
  4. hope day #2 of school was better! I do think I like the colors on hat #2 better ... but that says nothing (especially if you're worried about peeing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, losing water is awful. Two years ago our area was put on an extreme course of water conservation because of flooding near the city's water wells. It was a wake up for me about how much I take for granted turning on the tap. The hats are really pretty. I hope the back to school goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those hats! And what a Tuesday for you - let's hope for smooth sailing the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete