Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Unraveled, Week 4/2022

It's a frigid morning here, but the sun is coming out and it's Unraveled Wednesday again -- time to link up with Kat and the Unravelers to talk making and reading!

Last night I finally sat down with my May(be) Queen to weave in some ends on the body and do the math I needed to do on the sleeves. Why is it that we put off things that take so little time for so long? It took me less than five minutes to figure out how many stitches I needed to decrease and how often to do the decreases -- all I needed to do was measure another sweater that fits me well and do a few calculations. Weaving in ends took me most of my evening knitting time (the hour or so between when Rainbow goes to bed and I get into bed with my reading), so I only managed to pick up the stitches for the first sleeve and knit a few rounds, but it's under way now!


I still have small amounts of the first two skeins of yarn remaining from the body, but I didn't want to give myself any more ends to weave it, so I've started the sleeve with the two untouched skeins. I also tried the sweater on again last night (sorry, didn't take a photo because it was night and the light was terrible), and though it's tighter than I anticipated, it does fit. I expect blocking will loosen things up a bit and give me just a touch of positive ease.

I'm also actively working on my socks, as they are easy to do while reading for work, and I'm approaching the heel of the second sock.


No, your eyes do not deceive you, I am knitting this one toe up! I know that's not the direction I normally knit my socks, but given that this heel is designed to be worked in either direction, I thought it was prudent for me to try it out to be extra sure. The pattern is now with my tech editor, and I hope to have ti back in a week or so, so I want to finish up the second sock to take the final pictures.

I've also been putting in some plying time here and there, and my second bobbin is filling nicely -- though it does feel a bit like I'm going to be plying forever.


Reading has been pretty good this week. I've finished two books since last Wednesday, one of which I haven't been able to stop thinking about.

I know many of you have already read and loved Stanley Tucci's new memoir, Taste: My Life Through Food, so I'm here to tell those of you who haven't yet picked it up that you need to read it, preferably with your ears. The audiobook isn't long (maybe 7 hours?) and goes very quickly, but every moment of it is a delight. If you're a foodie, you will love this book. Tucci takes us on a trip through his life, highlighting the hilarious and heartwarming moments that have centered around the kitchen and the table. He does drop the occasional F-bomb, if that sort of thing bothers you, but it felt perfect for the context to me. When I finished listening, I was tempted to start from the beginning and listen again, but I knew there were a lot of people on the wait list and didn't want them to have to wait any longer than necessary. I gave it 5 stars.


I purchased a Kindle copy of Agatha of Little Neon, the next Read With Us selection, rather than wait for a copy of the library because I was afraid I wouldn't get it before the discussion in March. I liked this book, though I didn't love it. I found the nuns to be entertaining and endearing, and I liked Agatha very much. But when I finished it, I found I was left wanting a little more. I still didn't have the sense that I knew Agatha all that well, and I really wanted to know what happened to her after the book ended. It's certainly a very different book from Matrix, despite the commonality of nuns as main characters, and I think we'll have a very interesting discussion. I gave it 3 stars.

I'm still slowly working my way through Braiding Sweetgrass and really need to focus on it if I want to finish it soon-ish. But at the moment I am fully immersed in Ruth Ozeki's newest novel The Book of Form and Emptiness. This is only the second book of hers that I've read, and I have a feeling I will be reading all her books at some point because I really love her style. There's such an unusual quirkiness to her writing that some might find strange but that I find really endearing.

What are you making and reading this week?

11 comments:

  1. I love those socks and I'm very curious about your new heel technique. And I just purchased Taste on Audible, thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sweater is looking good and now that you're working on the sleeves it seems as if you're almost done. That Stanley Tucci book must be delightful; the hold list is a mile long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told Marc when I finished Taste that Stanley Tucci was the ONLY person I'd tolerate with the F-bombs - I thought they were perfect! and I'm sure hearing him say them, as opposed to reading them on the page helped, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your knitting is lovely. I have enjoyed Ruth Ozeki's writing too. I may put this book on my library hold list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually DIDN'T buy two of my favorite people Stanley Tucci's book for Christmas because of that very reason--must be audio! And Agatha--isn't it funny, different libraries with different trends? It came in for me right away (and I don't have time to read it yet!)
    At the moment, I'm little past halfway in Love Medicine (looking forward to discussion) and listening to Sue Monk Kidd's The Book of Longings. While revisionist Christian fiction would typically not pique my curiosity, my UU minister recommended this--and I am, indeed, deeply enjoying the story. (I love her fiction so shouldn't be surprised.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to get on the waitlist for Tucci's memoir, I have this Waitlist Overload brewing though. So maybe this spring will be the smart time to get on the list!

    Your sweater is looking so great! (and I agree on the procrastinating on things that will take almost no time!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just picked up Tucci's memoir from the library yesterday. I'll be reading it with my eyes, and soon. Ruth Ozeki's "back list" books are . . . interesting. (Wait til you get to "My Year of Meats" . . . I read that with my old book group when it first came out in 1998 and I STILL remember it vividly.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Taste sounds so good! I only have about 25 pages left in Agatha (tried to finish last night, but my eyes were closing at 9:30!) and I am thoroughly enjoying it. The quirky characters - all of it makes me chuckle out loud at times. I'm enjoying it so much more than Matrix! Your May(be) Queen is gorgeous Sarah and those socks are just outright FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am SO pleased that you're enjoying Ozeki's latest. I loved it, as I'm sure you know (or could guess!!). I want to fill up my reading list with books like that this year, but am having a hard time finding anything like it. I love her Zen perspective and how it comes out in her writing. I especially loved the animism in this book - I thought it was so clever and fun (and maybe a tiny bit scary in some places).

    The Tucci sounds delightful. I'll be adding it to my Libby list as soon as a spot clears up for it. Thank you!

    Your socks look so fun. I can't wait to try the pattern when it's read. And your sweater! So lovely. I love those textured lines. It still looks impossibly small to me, but I know it isn't, ha!! Enjoy these last few steps on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo, Ruth Ozeki has a new book out? Yes!! I read A Tale for the Time Being and My Year of Meats and All Over Creation. She devises such intriguing plots, particularly in Meats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This new one came out last fall, and I stayed up a little late to finish it last night!

      Delete