Pages

Friday, February 02, 2024

A Finish and Several Starts

Happy Friday, friends! Our friend Phil predicted an early spring this morning, but it's still quite gloomy outside (though the weather report this morning said there would be sunshine coming this weekend). All that is to say please excuse the photos in this post, as natural light is scarce.

I'm happy to tell you that I finished my Mas Vida shawl on Wednesday, though not without some drama.


Though I though I'd followed the pattern exactly, I found that I had to fudge things a bit at the end, so clearly I miscounted somewhere. I don't think it's obvious unless you go looking for it closely, but if you do compare the ends, you'll see they don't quite match up:


I ended up using just a bit more than 400 yards of the skein, and the finished shawl (after gentle blocking) is about 66 inches wide along the top edge. I will definitely be knitting this pattern again, but the next time I do, I'll make sure I count correctly!

Now that my lingering WIPs from 2023 are taken care of, I've cast on All The Things! Well, a couple things, anyway.

On the left is the collar and a teeny bit of the yoke on my Stripes! sweater, and on the right is a pair of socks I've just cast on for Mo so that I can have some knitting for the show tomorrow afternoon. It's not easy to tell from the photo, but that yarn is sparkly in addition to being in neon colors!

I have also started a new spinning project:


This is one of the Tour de Fleece prize colorways from last year from Southern Cross. It's called Bordeaux, and it's shades of greens, yellows, and browns on a lovely 85% Merino/15% silk base. I'm spinning a traditional three ply with this, my comfort zone.

Okay, friends, I've got a work meeting to get to, so that's all from me today. Have a great end to your week and a relaxing weekend, and I'll see you back here on Monday with some updates!

11 comments:

  1. I think counting correctly is overrated. I love that your shawl worked out -- it's gorgeous. I love those colors! Your new spin looks luxurious and beautiful. I'm excited to follow your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those deep colors in Mas Vida are just gorgeous, Sarah. And one of the many great things about shawls is that symmetry need not apply! (Though you are right--this is only noticeable if one goes looking, and if the shawl is draped just so for photo purposes.)
    February is PERFECT for neon knitting, is it not?! Hope you two have a great time tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Mas Vida is lovely, and I hope it's also soft and warm. And it makes me happy just to look at sparkly neon socks! I hope you have a great weekend, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the show tomorrow with your sparkly yarn!! Mas Vida is gorgeous! And who would look that closely to see that the ends don't match up? Meanwhile, I think I've picked out yarn for some socks, but first I have a conference call in 15minutes....

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a BEAUTIFUL shawl. No one would ever notice a difference if you hadn't told. Wear it in good health and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your shawl is beautiful and no one will even se a difference, I know I don’t. The Stripes sweater will be a fun knit !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to look hard to see the difference between the ends, so I think you're right. And I don't care in any case!

      Delete
  7. That shawl is so beautiful, Sarah! (But those sparkly bright socks! Perfect February knitting!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The shawl is so pretty and I can't see any difference. I hope the show and those bright socks were fun today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that shawl! and I'm impressed you've finished all your 2023 WIPs ... wow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some "mistakes" are worth fussing over, but most . . . are not. Your shawl is beautiful whether the ends "match" or not. Nicely done! :-) I hope the sun showed up for you, Sarah. We've enjoyed two rare days of winter sunshine here, and it is such a mood-brightener! XO

    ReplyDelete