Pages

Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Unraveled, Week 39/2026

Can you believe today is the last day of September? I feel like it just started! I guess the start of the school year, the High Holidays, and the change in weather make for a fast-moving month. As it's Wednesday, that means it's also a day to link up with Kat and the Unravelers.

On Monday night, I finished up the patterning in my sweater yoke and decided that I might as well take the time to block it. Rather than faff around with waste yarn, I simply grabbed another circular needle and knit about half the stitches onto it, then threw it all in to soak. I knew the needles (both sets were metal) would be fine in the water, but it wasn't the easiest to deal with, given that there were four needles that all seemed to be poking me at once.. I also tried it on before blocking and it was sitting just fine, so this block isn't strictly necessarily for checking the fit. Still, it's nice to see the yoke flat like this!

Now I'll be splitting the sleeve stitches from the body and carrying on with the long stretch of stockinette. I know many sweater knitters like to do the sleeves first, but I find sleeves much faster than the body and prefer to do them after.

After finishing up the socks for my sister-in-law, I needed a new smaller project, so I started another charity hat:

When I was doing my stash organization project, I came across two skeins of Malabrigo Sock in Ivy that I think I won as a prize for something or other. I think Mal Sock is nice to work with but a bit too soft for socks (and I haven't used it in years because of this), so it'll be great for a hat. I'm using one of the skeins, holding it double, to knit a Hollyhocks Hat (Ravelry link). I got the pattern for free and it's from a Pigskin Party sponsor, so extra points. Obviously I haven't even gotten the brim done yet, but I think it'll be a fairly quick knit.

I've only managed to finish two short-ish audiobooks this week, mainly because my library holds kept popping up as I was just starting a book already on my Kindle shelf and then when I tried to get back to it. No worries -- all reading is good, even if it takes me longer to finish a book that I've started because I keep having to set it aside!

I can't remember where I heard about Waking Up White and Finding Myself in the Story of Race, but I do know that it was one of the books I had tagged "to read" on Libby the longest. The book was published back in 2014, well before the more recent reckoning with race in this country, but I'd say it's still quite relevant. Debby Irving was raised in a predominantly white Boston suburb and never really considered herself to have a race until she was an adult. While working for community organizations and trying to make them more inclusive, she couldn't figure out why the efforts weren't working, so she took it upon herself to learn more about race, racism, and the systems that uphold it. Part memoir, part educational resource (each chapter ends with questions for the reader to ponder), this book gives what I felt was a really good perspective on what learning about race and racism should look like for a white ally: not relying on people of color to give the instruction but taking the initiative to challenge one's beliefs and understanding of the concepts. Notably, Irving doesn't shy away from sharing details of all the times when she was well intentioned but got things very wrong. It was an engaging book to listen to and a good reminder that the work of anti-racism is never done and starts with us. I gave it 4 stars.

Based on Carole's recommendation, I listened to Woodrow on the Bench: Life Lessons from a Wise Old Dog over the weekend. This is a relatively short memoir of Jenna Blum's much-beloved and very senior black Lab in the last year of his life. While the focus is on his decline, there are stories about his younger days and the great joy he brought to his owner. But mostly this is about how she cared for him -- and how her friends and family cared for her -- as his health began to fail and she knew his days were numbered. Obviously it's no spoiler to say that the dog does die in the end, but I didn't expect quite so much detail (some of it kind of gross, frankly) about the illness he experienced along the way. It is a sweet story, and anyone who's ever had and loved a dog will understand how hard it is to say good-bye. I gave it 3 stars.

I'm currently in the middle of four books: Our Noble Selves (the most recent library hold interruption) and Olga Dies Dreaming (now set aside twice) on Kindle, Restoration on paper, and When She Woke on audio. I'm hoping that by this time next week, I'll be done with most, if not all, of them.

What are you making and reading this week?

3 comments:

  1. Your sweater is looking gorgeous, Sarah! That yoke is really lovely! I really like the subtle patterning in the yoke. And I think Malabrigo sock yarn is excellent for a hat... nice choice! This month has flown by... way too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoosh! That is the sound of September zooming past. So fast!! Your sweater is looking magnificent Sarah...well at least the yoke! Such a pretty pattern. Nice start on another charity hat too! It always seems funny to me how some yarn labeled as "sock yarn" is way too soft to be made into socks. A hat, though, seems perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see your blocked yoke! The patterns are really lovely and it's good to know that it fits. And it's always a good idea to have a small project going, and the charity hat seems like a good one, especially with that yarn. I don't think I can read a book where the dog dies at the end, but I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on Our Noble Selves. Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment! I try to reply to all comments if I can, but I can only do that if I have your email address. If yours isn't associated with your Blogger account and you'd like me to respond to your comments, please send me an email so I have it!