Pages

Monday, September 14, 2026

Weekending, 5787*

I have mixed feelings about the Jewish holidays falling on the weekend. On the one hand, it's nice not to have to burn any vacation time. On the other, it does tend to eat up all the free time. But even if the weekend wasn't as restful as it could be, it was still enjoyable. We had a great meal (in spite of the chaotic environment) on Friday night. Ruthie was clearly a little more anxious than usual with so many people in the house, but she handled it very well, all things considered. I was hoping she'd sleep in on Saturday, but she was up and letting me know it at 6 a.m. as usual! We attended services on Saturday, which didn't start until 11 and didn't end until about 1:45; I left an hour earlier to take Ruthie out and then go get my hair cut (which I would have scheduled later in the afternoon if I thought services were going to go so long!). We ate more of the same meal at my parents' on Saturday evening and then went back there for lunch with some family friends on Sunday. I feel like all I did over the weekend was eat! Today I'm ready to get back to the usual routine.

Friday was such a busy day and I was so tired after running, cleaning, serving, and cleaning up that I didn't have any energy to knit once everyone was gone. But Saturday evening we were done much earlier, so I was able to proceed with my sweater. I had completed all of the short rows at the neck by Thursday night, so that meant I was able to join my second skein (I'm alternating to be safe) and begin the textured portion of the yoke. I've only done the first eyelet section so far, but at least it's starting to look like something:

As this isn't a project I can easily work on during the day, I cast on a new pair of socks for my sister-in-law using yarn from a dyer who recently shared some pretty ugly beliefs and so I won't be naming or recommending the yarn. It was already in my stash and it's pretty, so I thought I would use it for one of the most knitworthy people I know because she will love the colors.

Today Molly has an early dentist appointment and then will drop me off on her way to school (yes, she's driving herself now!), but otherwise we're back to the usual schedule this week, for the most part. We've got curriculum night at Molly's school on Thursday evening, and that basically gives me a night off from cooking because we have to be there at 6:30. Today I'm going to fully enjoy the fact that the high is only supposed to be in the low 70s and I probably will need only one shower!


(*In case you were wondering, the new year on the Jewish calendar is 5787. Yes, it's a big number -- we've been at this for a while! And it's a lunar calendar, which is why the holidays seem to be on a different date every year.)

8 comments:

  1. That seems like a pretty long service, but I'm all for a weekend of eating! Your sweater looks good so far. It's a shame that dyer has ugly beliefs because that looks like a really nice rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! That is a mighty big number - LOL. I think hosting any holiday celebration can be exhausting, so I hope this week is an easy one for you. Your sweater start looks great and the rainbow sock is so pretty (too bad the dyer's views are not pretty).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hosting any celebrations is a lot of work and stress! How lovely though that Molly is taking herself to school! It was absolutely an extra layer morning on my walk with Frankie! Hurrah for open windows and no AC running!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that Molly can drop you off. Such a milestone. We will soon have a grandson with double digits - crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shana tova, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shana tova, Sarah. I thought of you and your family this weekend, and hoped you were enjoying a lovely holiday together. Thanks for explaining the new year on the Jewish calendar. I love learning new things like that! Here's to a good, back-to-routine week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers to a good 5787! That sock yarn is lovely, too bad the dyer sounds terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hosting a celebration can be fun but stressful to get it all organized and together. I am glad you had a nice time together. The sweater looks lovely in the handspun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment! I try to reply to all comments if I can, but I can only do that if I have your email address. If yours isn't associated with your Blogger account and you'd like me to respond to your comments, please send me an email so I have it!