Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Finished: Inside Out! Socks

Here is the obligatory one-right-side-out, one-wrong-side-out photo of these socks:

Pattern: Inside Out! by Kaci Kyler Hays (February socks for Blue Moon Fiber Arts' Rockin' Sock Club)
Yarn: Socks That Rock Mediumweight (100% superwash merino), colorway Monsoon, one skein
Needles: US 1 (2.25 mm) dpns and a US 2 (2.75 mm) to bind off
Started/Completed: March 9/April 11
Mods: Finished cuff by working 10 rows after last cable and then binding off

I used the same size needles throughout these socks, but I maintained a tighter tension for the foot. This meant that the knitting was rather rough on the hands and wrists, which probably explains why it took me so long to knit them -- I had to have a rest in between sock one and sock two.

These were my first Socks That Rock. Although I wasn't exactly wild about the colorway or the pattern when I started, I kept reminding myself of the reason I signed up for the club in the first place -- to try something new. These turned out rather thick, so they will probably be house/bed socks. My favorite feature is the ribbing on the sole of the foot. It mystified when when I knit it -- until I finished the first sock, put it on, and walked around a bit. Pure genius. So cushy and comfy.

This was all the yarn I had left. Not bad, considering my foot is 9.75" long and I worked five cables plus 10 additional rows (60 rows total) on the leg.

J's crazy socks are the next WIP that will get attention. They have only about four inches of stockinette left on the foot. To answer your question, Ruth, the yarn is Online Supersocke Cotton Beach Color (frankly this colorway doesn't scream "beach" to me, but that's what it's called). They will see significant attention tonight and tomorrow, and with any luck there will be another object finished here tomorrow.

My yarn arrived from WEBS this afternoon (thank you, UPS, for allowing me to track my package and also for not sending it through Leetsdale!), and you know what that means -- winding party! Off to get out the swift ...

5 comments:

  1. The socks look great! I'm about an inch into the foot of my second one. I hope I have enough yarn - I did 6 cables

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - delurking here. The socks look great. I have one done. I also had to take a break because knitting that sock really hurt my hand and wrist. I'll get back to the second on in a couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I'll ask, why was there ribbing on the sole of the foot? Wouldn't it be hard to walk on ribbing? At least when they're on your foot, they don't look so perverted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ribbing is actually quite comfy. I really like the garter heel and toe. Your socks look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the socks! they look great :)

    ReplyDelete