Pages

Sunday, February 05, 2012

Ta-da: Yarn!

Plying of my sweater singles has commenced (and has been going very quickly!). Here are the first two skeins:


While the yardage is a tad disappointing, I'm very pleased with the quality of yarn. I used a worsted method with a woolen preparation (carded roving) for a very soft, fluffy yarn that I'm hoping will still be fairly durable.


As far as plying goes, I am following the same plan as last year. I had 18 batches of singles, so I am mixing them up to be as consistent as possible -- number 1 is being plied with number 7 and number 13, 2 with 8 and 14, etc. When one "bobbin" runs out, I've been breaking the singles that remain and tossing the leftovers into a bag. When I finish the six full skeins, I'll pull out the leftovers and ply them all up into a seventh skein. I've plied five so far (the third is nearly dry, the fourth is hanging to dry, and the fifth is waiting on the niddy noddy), so I have just the last full skein to ply up tonight and will do the leftovers tomorrow. Then it will be time to count yardage and decide what sweater to knit -- the really challenging part of this whole project!

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure you must be thrilled with it as it's so beautiful. I could stare at that lovely even yarn for hours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the natural color of this yarn! It is so beautiful and looks just perfect. I'm not a spinner, so I don't know all the terminology, but this looks like a nice, springy, soft yarn - perfect for a sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOoooooooooooooohhh pretty pretty yarn!!! This is going to be one amazing sweater. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete