Pages

Sunday, March 03, 2013

Be What You Want to Be

After finishing up the spin of last week, I thought I'd try to stash bust a bit. I pulled out an enormous batt that I won as a prize in last year's Tour de Fleece. It's a bit of a kitchen sink batt -- there's a little bit of everything in it. I decided to tear off strips and spin them in order, from one end of the batt to the other. When I'm done, I'll chain ply. I originally started out spinning fairly fine, but there are some spots in this batt (particularly where there's silk) that aren't especially blended, so there are definitely some thick and thin spots.


In spite of the inconsistencies, I do like how it's spinning up. I haven't touched it in several days, but I'm hoping to put in some more time on this it evening.

For reference, here's the rest of the batt that's still waiting to be spun:


This batt is challenging me in my spinning, because I tend to like really well-blended, smooth fibers. It's hard for me to spin a yarn that's not completely smooth. But I like to think that spinning something outside my normal comfort zone is what allows me to grow as a spinner, so I'm trying not to force this yarn to be what I'd normally spin and instead allow it to be the kind of yarn it wants to be. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm… reminds me of Peach Melba. I think it's the streak of raspberry!

    ReplyDelete