Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Four Warm Hands

Mittens, mittens, we've got mittens! Two new pairs, to be specific. Let's go through the details.


Pattern: Waiting for Winter Mittens by Susan B. Anderson
Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Targhee Worsted (100% Targhee) in A Hazy Shade of Blue
Needles: US 6 (4.0 mm)
Started/Completed: October 31/November 5
Mods: I altered the placement of the thumb gusset a bit, but it's not something you'd know by looking at the mittens (just a manifestation of my need for symmetry in all things).

These were a quick, easy knit, and as you can see from the goofy picture, Miss Rainbow was very excited to get them. I took it as a big compliment that she wanted to wear them immediately, even though we were in the middle of a heat wave when I finished them and it was nearly 70 degrees! These mittens used up a partial skein of the Targhee Worsted I had leftover from a sweater I knit last year -- yarn, I should add, that the Mister and Rainbow had bought for me as a gift. There's still a small amount leftover, too -- proof that two skeins of this yarn can go a long way.


Pattern: Wood Hollow Mittens by Kirsten Kapur
Yarn: Dream in Color Classy (100% superwash merino) in Gold Experience
Needles: US 4 (3.5 mm)
Started/Completed: October 28/November 9
Mods: none

These were finished just before it was my bedtime last night. I'd finished the first mitten over the weekend and started the second on Sunday evening, so clearly these are a quick knit. I followed the pattern exactly and made no mods, and the finished mittens are a pretty good fit. If I knit these again, I might make the thumbs a tad bit longer, but otherwise they are pretty comfortable. My only complaint (and this is entirely to do with me, not the pattern) is that the mittens are not symmetrical. I suppose I could have taken the time to rechart the pattern to make one mitten the mirror image of the other -- something to do next time, I suppose.

I have zero complaints about the yarn -- it's absolutely one of my favorites. I have to weigh my leftovers to see how much I have and if it's enough for a small project like a baby hat.

Up next? More mittens! I'm going to make another pair of Waiting for Winter Mittens in Spud & Chloe Sweater (the extra skein from Rainbow's sweater) to donate through my LYS. And I am really itching to cast on for a new design, but that requires some work first. We'll see how long I'm able to resist.

No comments:

Post a Comment