Pages

Thursday, March 02, 2017

The Balancing Act

I will never understand (but always admire) the people who can work on only one project at a time, as at the moment I am struggling to juggle several and would like to start more. First, there's Rainbow's Dancing Leaves Cardigan, which is getting really close to being done (probably half a sleeve is left) thanks to the knitting time it's been getting during my lunch breaks.


I still need to sort out buttons for this sweater, and I might have to resort to ordering some online as I don't think I have enough -- I need 15 -- of the same ones in the right size in my giant bag of assorted buttons and my usual source, my former LYS, is no longer an option. The buttons I need are relatively small (the sweater is knit in fingering weight), and I'm pretty sure I want something with a shank. I can probably try another LYS, but the number I need is likely to be the complicating factor. If anyone knows a good source for buttons, please share!

I'm also working on my Quill sweater, though to be honest it hasn't seen much action this week. When I put it down last night before bed, I had about 3/4 of an inch of garter stitch to go before I could start the fun part, so I may get there this evening.

As if those two projects weren't enough, I cast on for a new pair of socks on Tuesday evening because I had two doctor's appointments (just annual checkups, not to worry!) yesterday morning and knew I'd have some time sitting in the waiting room. As luck would have it, I discovered that my friend Sara was hosting a knitalong for the sock pattern she's recently released, the Cape Cod Socks, which I'd also happened to have bought when I first saw it. I bought that hot pink yarn at IKS last weekend specifically to knit them, and so far, they're coming along quite well. The pattern is very intuitive, so I haven't really had to refer to the instructions after I got several rounds in and probably won't until I get to the heel.


Looking ahead to the weekend, it's going to be a busy one. As a birthday gift to myself (the big day is in a week), I bought myself an intensive learn to weave class at the Steel City Fiber Collective. It's a total of 10 hours over two days, so I have a feeling there won't be a lot of knitting or spinning this weekend, but it'll be worth it. I know I've said many times that I don't really need another fiber hobby, but I keep getting interested in weaving and I figured that by taking the class I'd know whether or not it was an interest worth pursuing. So we'll see what happens -- if I've learned anything from my initial interest in spinning, I've learned never to say never.

Hope you have some wonderful fibery things planned for your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment