Pages

Friday, December 09, 2022

Thanks, It Has Pockets!

TGIF, friends. It's been quite a week and I am more than ready for it to be over. Today is officially my last working Friday of the year. I was able to get one big project off my plate yesterday, so I am hoping today can be a little less stressful as a result.

Today I have to share with you my excitement about pockets -- tiny pockets, specifically. I've reached the point in the sweater for my nephew where I've paused on the body to knit the fronts of the pockets, and I cannot express to you how adorable they are!

I will not give away the secret sauce in describing how the pocket fronts are attached to the body as you go, so let's just say it's extremely clever. The first pocket is done (except for closing the bottom, which will be done when the body is picked up again) and the second about halfway there. As you can tell from my two fingers, these pockets are pretty much useless as far as function goes, but I wouldn't skip them for the world. And though they're a bit fiddly, they are easy enough that I could see adding them to a cardigan that doesn't have pockets.

I've also made some progress on the charity hat thanks to knitting time during what was Rainbow's last official bat mitzvah tutoring session on Wednesday evening.

The pattern is intuitive enough that I didn't even need to take the chart with me, and I also found that the strap of a face mask is an excellent holder for a cable needle! I've got about half a dozen rounds left before the crown decreases.

This weekend will be focused on tying up the last few loose ends for the big event next weekend as well as transferring over my data from my current laptop to the shiny new one that arrived on Monday. While I haven't had any major issues with my six-year-old MacBook, I'm pretty sure this is not how it's supposed to look when it's closed (or not quite closed):


It's been wobbly when sitting on a flat surface for a while, and the swelling only seems to be getting worse, so before it becomes catastrophic, I decided to get a new one. We had quite a lot of fun watching the tracking on it, especially when it went from China to Alaska to Japan! Assuming all goes well with the transfer, I'll be writing my next post from it on Monday.

Okay, time to get to work. Have a great weekend, everyone!

7 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of fiddly knitting but even I can see how adorable (and clever) those pockets are! That hat is really a lovely color, and I think you are wise to deal with the small MacBook issue before it became a large one. I had a friend whose laptop battery swelled and eventually burst, and then it was a HUGE issue. Hope you have a good weekend, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An absolutely adorable 'man sweater' for baby! Agreed. The pockets were a must. And you are SO SMART to address the MacBook before it became an emergency. Ugh. Wise to be ahead of that curve. (Hard to make oneself do it, though! Just not much fun. But it's one of those 'gifts to future Sarah' that is priceless, really.) Enjoy your weekend-before-the big-one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pockets are just darling. A new laptop is an expense but you are so right to replace it before it becomes a real catastrophe or you get hurt by a swollen battery. The hat is such a pretty shade of blue. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pockets! I'm a huge fan of pockets and always delighted when I try on a dress and find it has nice generous pockets! Hope you enjoy your new MacBook. Mine is 5 years old and I can tell it's starting to get a bit cranky, but I'm going to try and put off getting a new one until I really have to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everything should have pockets!

      Delete
  5. Those pockets are the sweetest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY for a new computer! That's always VERY exciting! The pockets are so adorable - what a fun little addition to that very cute pattern.

    ReplyDelete