Pages

Monday, July 20, 2026

Mid-July Weekending

Did I say I was going to have a relaxing weekend? If so, I must've jinxed it. That's not to say that I didn't get time to myself, but when your Saturday starts with an alarm going off at 5:45 (a certain spouse of mine turned on his weekday alarm without thinking) followed by a thunderstorm, it's probably an indication that things are going to be more exciting than you bargained for.

When I took Ruthie out for her morning walk, I noticed that it smelled like a campfire outside -- different from the smoke from the wildfires, which smelled more plastic-y. When we got to the business district of our neighborhood, I discovered the source:

It's hard to make out what's in the photos, but the black and red storefront you see just to the right of center is a ramen restaurant that caught fire Saturday morning. By the time we walked by, the fire was out, but there were still five fire trucks, at least two police cars (to block traffic), and a truck from the Salvation Army there as well as two news cameras, which you might be able to make out in the photo (one in front of the person wearing the blue shirt and one to the left of that, by the rear wheel of that black SUV). No one was hurt, thank goodness, but the building is now condemned. And it was much more excitement than we're used to on a Saturday morning -- I think Ruthie was a bit overwhelmed by the noise and the lights.

We had thunderstorms and heavy rain on and off all that day, including when I took Ruthie out at midday, and we both got completely drenched even though I'd checked the radar before we left and it was clear! The rain was very welcome, though, and it helped to cool down the temperatures and clear out some of the smoke. And yesterday was beautiful and so much more comfortable.

Some highlights from the weekend include going out to dinner on Friday night, where we were seated right next to my parents (no, we didn't plan it!); picking some more zucchinis that seemed to grow overnight as well as some more ripe tomatoes; making zucchini bread with some of those zucchinis; and sleeping in on Sunday (I made sure to tell the Mister to double-check that his alarm wasn't on when we went to bed). 

This is what happens when a zucchini grows up against the side of your fencing.

I also got to measure and photograph that skein of handspun:

I ended up with about 296 yards of two-ply that's roughly sport weight, though it varies a bit like any good handspun does. Because of the high silk content, it has incredible drape and sheen. I'm very happy with it. I might even knit something with it, and soon!

The weekend ended with dinner with my side of the family for my brother's birthday, for which I made an ice cream grasshopper pie:

It wasn't going to win any beauty contests, but it sure tasted good -- especially because I made the crust with Thin Mints!

The Mister is at a charity golf event today, and I'll be meeting him for the dinner portion. Then he's away on a work trip for a few days, so it'll be just us girls at home -- and I'm going to use his absence to do some stash organization because I can spread things out on his side of the bedroom. I'll be sure to share an update on that later in the week.

Have a good start to your week, and see you back here on Wednesday!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:09 AM

    Your cake looks delicious!! It certainly sounds like your Saturday got off to a rough start! We didn't get much rain at all. There was thunder, but it all seemed to be around us and not on us. I was glad to not have it raining while I was grocery shopping, but we sure could use a bit more. Your hands-on skein is lovely. It's a little difficult to tell, but it looks like there might be a hint of purple in it? Hope you can ease gently into a new work week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oopppsss "anonymous" is moi!

      Delete
  2. We had thunderstorms over the weekend and the rain was welcome. They did clear out the air and today is off to a nice start. That skein of handspun is gorgeous and I hope you do knit something with it soon. I'd love to see what it looks like knit but it' s also quite nice in the skein. And that pie ... now I want some thin mints!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rains were so welcome! I am sorry that you had a fire in your neighborhood that added to the weekend's smokiness! Your cake looks so delicious! (way better than my morning yoghurt! haha!) Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that pie looks lovely -- and tasty, too. My mom's favorite cocktail was a Grasshopper, and she also loved Thin Mints, so your dessert concoction brought me happy memories of my mom. XO

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment! I try to reply to all comments if I can, but I can only do that if I have your email address. If yours isn't associated with your Blogger account and you'd like me to respond to your comments, please send me an email so I have it!