It's Wednesday, so it must be time to link up with Kat and the Unravelers! This week's update finds me in an unusual spot: I have only one active knitting WIP. I have been spinning in the evenings when I'm upstairs, so the only knitting I've been doing regularly has been during the afternoons while Ruthie naps (and while I read or do work). That knitting, by necessity, has to be fairly simple, so it's generally socks or a hat. And a hat is what I've been working on this week.
- Yesteryear by Caro Claire Burke (digital from library): A tradwife online influencer wakes up in 1855 and has to figure out how she got there and how to get back to the life she knows. A wild ride with a highly unlikeable main character that is nevertheless a page turner. 3 stars
- Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann (audio from the library): A riveting true story of a rash of murders of members of the Osage nation and the investigation by the burgeoning FBI that revealed a pattern of efforts by white men to get the oil money of the Osage. 4 stars
- The Fine Art of Lying by Alexandra Andrews (digital from library): A thriller set in the world of fine art. Clare was ABD on an art history PhD when she married into a wealthy family and has become unfulfilled with her new life. She has an affair with an art dealer, and when he is murdered, it soon becomes clear that someone is trying to frame her for his death. Outrageous but fun, especially if you know art. 4 stars
- Marble Hall Murders by Anthony Horowitz (audio from library): The third in the Susan Ryeland series finds her back in London working with a tumultuous author hired to write a continuation of the Atticus Pund series. She discovers that his book is actually a thinly veiled account of his own family, and once again she finds herself at the center of a murder investigation. Well performed (by actors) but too long. 3 stars
- Dear Monica Lewinsky by Julie Langbein (digital from library): Jean, in her mid-40s, can't seem to move on from an affair she had with a professor while a college student studying abroad in France. So she turns to Monica Lewinsky, as one would pray to a saint for intercession, for help as she revisits that summer. Funny, irreverent, and empowering and totally original. 4 stars
It is so cute when you measure projects against Ruthie! The hat looks great and someone is going to be very happy to get it. And what a lot of reading!! I'm not one who can knit and read at the same time, so I'm impressed whenever anyone does that! I just finished Land by Maggie O'Farrell and absolutely loved it!!
ReplyDeleteI do love an item that can be measured in Ruthie! But what a bout of books you have here! Wow!
ReplyDeleteThat certainly is a hat, almost one whole Ruthie! I love those colors. I've wondered about Dear Monica Lewinsky and it sounds like it might be a fun read. I hope my library has it in audio; I could use something funny and irreverent to listen to!
ReplyDeleteI have so many books either as ARCs or from the library right now that it's going to be a while before I can request anything new . . . but Dear Monica Lewinsky does sound like a fun palate cleanser kind of read, so I'll keep that one in mind for any "lulls" in my reading. And the hat will be warm and toasty - and I'm sure much appreciated.
ReplyDelete