Happy Fri -- er, Wednesday! It's the end of my workweek but only the middle of the week in general, and today as per usual I'm joining in with Kat and the Unravelers.
I'm still working on that sparkly purple charity hat and on my current spin, but today I'm planning on casting on a new project, a Sophie-ish scarf using this recent skein of handspun:
I figure I have knit enough shawls in my day that I can wing it without needing a pattern, though we'll see if I'm actually successful. I have a work meeting (online) right after lunch today that I have to attend but not really pay close attention to, so I'll be casting on then.
Because of a big project that got dropped in my lap late last week, my reading slowed a bit and I only have three finished reads to share this week (two of which were started at the beginning of the month). But they are all nonfiction, which is rather unusual for me!
In Abundance, Ezra Klein and Derek Thompson argue that some of the policy decisions that were made decades ago and that may have been well intentioned at the time have led to major problems today: a shortage of affordable housing, worker shortages in certain industries, climate change, a problematic environment in which to conduct research. There's a lot of interesting content here, but a lot of it went in one ear and out the other (so maybe this wasn't the best book to read on audio and I would have retained more had I read with my eyes). It was a relatively short listen, despite having to slow down my usual speed (Ezra Klein can be a fast talker!), and I did feel I learned a few things, but when I finished I didn't feel like I had a solid grip on the content. I gave it 3 stars.I'm now officially past the halfway mark on a very long new release on audio and have just started a digital ARC on another nonfiction work.
What are you making and reading this week?




I'm looking forward to seeing your Sophie-ish scarf. I see some purple in that handspun and am wondering what that will look like when it's knit. I paged through On Morrison at the library and decided that it might take all the enjoyment out of further Morrison reading for me, and after your review, I think that would have been the case. Lots of nonfiction reading!
ReplyDeleteYour hands-on is so pretty and I'm looking forward to seeing what you create from it! I picked up The Calamity Club yesterday at my library. Gosh it really is a long book!!
ReplyDeleteI am looking forward to seeing your Sophie-ish scarf as well! Did you know there is a podcast with Namwali around On Morrison? I found it very good (30-ish minutes with just 6 episodes in total) but the discussion about specific passages was really so good.
ReplyDelete