It's been a long week here, I guess because it's been the first full week of school since the new year started, and as classes are really ramping up, so is the stress. I'm happy to have a weekend ahead. Last weekend was filled with all the holiday observances and celebrations, so it didn't feel like a real rest, particularly as we didn't have our usual schedule. Here's hoping this weekend can be more typical.
Last night was Curriculum Night at Molly's school, where parents get to follow their child's schedule and visit all their teachers to hear a bit about what they'll be studying in the year ahead. Last year we both had conflicts and couldn't attend, and this year felt a little bittersweet because we'll only do this once more. It's a big year for her for sure, not just because of the course load but because looking ahead to college is getting much more real and serious. And as much as I love the fact that she can now drive herself to and from school, it means I no longer have the time in the car with her every day to listen to her unload on the day's events. I know this is all part of the process and that it's good for her to start pulling away to become a self-sufficient young adult -- but I'm allowed to be a little sad about it, right?
Progress has continued on my WIPs, with some noticeable growth. For one thing, the sock now has a heel and an almost-completed foot:
| Yes, that is a cameo by Ruthie's tush. |
In order to maintain the stripes on the instep (and because these stripes are narrower than I'm used to), I used the strand from the inside of the yarn cake for the heel turn. It means a couple of extra ends to weave in, but that's not such a big deal. This yarn base is finer than what I'm used to, so I had to do a bit of math to figure out when to start the toe based on my row gauge. Fortunately, my sister-in-law has the smallest feet of all the people I knit socks for, so I'm not too far off from that point now and expect to have the first sock down by the end of the weekend.
Then there's the sweater, which has just gotten enough increases to fit comfortably around my needle so I no longer need to knit magic loop:
I have added the second eyelet section and next will move on to the larger textured area that should be easier to see than the first one. I'm alternating strands every round, and you can see that one strand is still all ramen-y from ripping out my swatch. I'll be happy when I get through all that kinked-up yarn, as I don't think it's helping much with the patterning being hard to see.
We have a pretty quiet weekend planned, but Yom Kippur begins Sunday evening, which means we'll be having a large meal early on before the fast. We'll be hosting break fast at our place for my side of the family on Monday, and I very well may take the day off blogging that day (I'd be getting my post ready on Sunday regardless, but sometimes it's nice to take a break). I hope you enjoy this last summer weekend and will see you back here for sure next Wednesday.

Your sweater is coming right along, Sarah! It's lovely! That yarn is really beautiful! And striped socks are such a delight... especially with a bit of Ruthie Tushie! May you have an easy fast... I will be thinking of you and your family!
ReplyDeleteWow! Hosting two weeks in a row is a lot. I hope you can take it easy this weekend. Both the sweater and the sock are lovely!
ReplyDeleteThere is always so much going on when the school year begins anew -- and it seems no matter how much we crave the return of "routine" after a more leisurely summer, it always comes as a bit of a shock! I hope you can rest up a bit this weekend, Sarah, as the days ahead will surely be busy ones. XO
ReplyDeleteI used to really enjoy curriculum nights when my kids were in high school. They went to a big school with a spread out campus, and while 10 minutes in each classroom only gave me a minimum of information, the frantic dash from one class to another always gave me a new appreciation for what the boys were going through on a daily basis and why they often came home stressed. I do love that sock, and you are moving right along on that sweater.
ReplyDelete